Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Swap Meet

I took my kids and Sara's little friend N. to a coffee shop the other day for hot chocolate. One of my little treats at the coffee shop is to grab an issue of City Weekly, which is a free local publication. Somewhat edgier than our daily print offerings (doesn't take much). So, I generally expect some eyebrow-waggling content: the hookah bars; the strip joint ads; the too-weird-to-be-funny comic strips. Sara and I like the column "Ask a Mexican", a tongue-in-cheek cultural primer; and I was about to flip to it when the cover story (this article) caught my eye.

Swingers in Utah? I was more than interested. A junior high-type fascination. I almost covered my mouth and tittered. The kids must have seen my gob-struck expression. "What? What? What's that story about, Mommy? Why are those people on the cover in their underwear?"

Flap! The newspaper disappears. "Nothing! There is no way I could explain it so it would make any sense to you. How's the cocoa?"

But later, of course, I read the whole thing. Aw, 'cmon. There must be, like, 15 couples in the Valley that do this, right? So I paid a visit to the website mentioned in the article, and was doubly gobstruck: if you look at the postings on the message board and the discussion lists, LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE FROM UTAH! Is there a more conservative state in the country? And the cities where a lot of the comments originate? Layton, Orem, PROVO. Could any towns be more straight-laced? I'm eyeing my neighbors in a different light, I'll tell ya'.

10 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Oh darn. I tried to click onto the message board but that site has been banned in the office! It must be juicy!

Happy New Year anyway.

super hero said...

you cant believe what people busy with under their very conservative blanket.

Amrita said...

I 'll have to click on that link to find out what you are talking about.I am at your kid 's level.

Happy New year.

Amrita said...

Shocked --- exited in haste

suesun said...

Ha! I knew there was a reason I loved Utah....... there's so much more there than meets the eye!

cinnibonbon said...

Hey you!!
how goes the new year??

Sam said...

I was looking for the pictures!!! :) Year New Happy

Lulubelle B said...

Happy New Year Kate
Hope everything's going well
Taking a blog break?

Susan in Lille said...

Come back Kate!!! Hope you have not blogged in a while because you are off doing something fantastically exciting....

Anonymous said...

I am Glad i ran across this blog.Added katediggins.blogspot.com to my bookmark!