Monday, May 17, 2010

Some Things Need to be Rekindled

I really have a lot to write about these days, but I need to reestablish my blogging routine.


Nate came running into the house this evening before supper, terrified that he was about to be abducted.


"MOM! I was just playing out in the yard and this car stopped and the people in it smiled at me! I think they're headed this way!"



Sure enough, a knock at the door. Nathan squealed in fear and hid. Oh, for Pete's sake. I opened the door to find the Sabet family, to my great pleasure. Soraya and Jafar and their son Aryan. Nate and Aryan used to go to the same daycare center and played a lot when they were in preschool. They go to different elementary schools, though; so we really haven't seen the Sabets for...three years or more.

They were driving past the house and Aryan spotted Nate. He was so excited that he asked his dad to stop. Poor Nate didn't remember Aryan at all at first, but they ran off to play and left the parents to brew strong tea and talk about gardening. Jafar is a horticulturist.

I have to do better with these folks. I really like them. They live very nearby, but we don't visit back and forth. Our kids are the same age, but we don't get them together. This is totally my fault. Soraya has always been the outgoing one and probably despairs of me as just another American so-called friend who never has time.

BWOOP! BWOOP! Digression Alert! [Which is true! How can I have time to chill when I have to de-junk Sara's bedroom? She was in such agony over the mess that she finally invited me to have my own wicked way with it. Talk about the most fun I can have with my clothes on! I LOVE to throw stuff out! I got busy and filled the garbage and the recycling dumpsters. She thinks she has no storage. When you clean out the CRAP, she has plenty of room in there!

BEFORE

AFTER



Back to Sabets. It is true that I used to avoid her a little - Nathan didn't like playing with Aryan and I didn't know how to handle that in light of how much Soraya wanted them to play together. Now, though, they get along great. I'm thinking I'll ask them to come over this weekend. Be it resolved that I will try not to get stuck in my social rut and that I will make time to cultivate my friendships.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

Hi Kate nice hearing from you.

The names of the Sabet family are definitely Asian, quite familiar to me.

Sara 's room looks nice, specially the curtains.