Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why I Prefer Fiction

I am all out of escapist reading material at the moment. I've requested What Looks Crazy on an Ordinary Day and This Much I Know is True from the library; but until they arrive, I have magazines (an issue of Shape and one of Runner's World) and my training manual, Running 101. Yeah, this is my punishment for my marathon reading jags. Forced non-fiction.

So, maybe I'll learn something? So far, Running 101 has taught me that, if I were going to make any progress in my times, it would have happened in my first ten years of running. After ten years (according to the book), runners will plateau and can only expect to maintain. So, how many years have I been running? Uh..... 23 years. Running in races and paying attention to my time? Six years... Oh, dear. Like sand through the hourglass...so pass the days of our lives. God dammit. Even Mobey Dick is more uplifting that Running 101. I must have a copy around here somewhere.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Eh, who needs 'em anyway, Kate? You know how good you are.

Besides, just the fact you can run without peeing yourself makes people like me jealous.