Tuesday, August 3, 2010

But What About This Delicious Chickpea Fennel Stew I made For You?

OK, so, how big a deal is this, really? It's bugging me! I could use some advice.

Ever since Sara was born 11 years ago, I have made a point to have a Family Supper Table (F! S! T!). I work evenings twice a week, but on every other night of the week, I've made a home-cooked meal from scratch and we've eaten together. I try out one or two new recipes every week, I experiment with unsual ingredients. It has kind of passed as a hobby for a busy working mom who doesn't have time for hobbies.

But now, Nathan wants to play club-level soccer. This means that, in addition to his Tuesday afternoon practice for our little local soccer program, he would also have practices on Monday and Wednesday nights. 6:30-8:00, so he would need to be out the door a little bit after 6:00 PM. If I were a stay-at home mom, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I could get supper on the table by 5:00 or 5:30. But I usually don't walk in the door until that time. We usually eat a little late: maybe 6:30 or 7:00. I just don't see how I can keep up the family meal thing, unless we eat at 8:30 PM, and that's kind of late for me.

I voiced my concern about the loss of two more nights of eating together, but Nathan and Simon are not concerned. They can't believe that I would care about this. I've tried warning them of the dire effects it could have on the family if we don't eat together. The life of crime that awaits Nate if we don't share a hot nutritious meal. How Sara will start having sex f we don't all come together once a day.

How often does your family eat together? How do you make it work? Working moms, how do you get your meals together in time? How do you keep it healthy and not resort of carry-out? Got wisdom?

3 comments:

Amrita said...

You are a good Mom Kate.


We 've always eaten together.But in India things are different. We eat at 7.30 or 8, some families eat very late say 10pm.


Could you do something easy peasy, or cook earlier and reheat?

My sis cooks in advance and freezes

Lillian said...

I agree with Amrita. Good advice.

I don't really count as a stay-at-home mom, but we don't eat together like that very often anymore because my kids are involved in so many things. We have done it late, though, and it was OK. I think it's the family TIME part that matters for the kids, though - not the meal part.

How about creating a family something-else time? If it weren't incredibly unhealthy, I'd suggest family dessert time, just because I'm sure everyone would like it and therefore agree to it. Family here's-your-one-piece-of-chocolate time? My ideas are getting weirder by the minute, and I'm certain your husband would roll his eyes and suggest you've been consorting with lunatics, so I'll stop there.

Anonymous said...

Two words of wisdom: Crock pot.

I'll give you my famous, easy-peasy crockpot chili recipe. You set it up in the morning, and when you get home, it's ready and waiting for you.