Sunday, August 12, 2007

Being Nathan's Mom

Being Nathan's mom wasn't easy this weekend. In spite of the fact that Simon finished painting his room...And he now has sandstone arches on his wall a la southern Utah...


...still, the boy was, well...crabby. Swathed in an old tablecloth and armed with a plastic saber, Nathan battled adult oppression all weekend.

Maybe he just needs a haircut. That took quite a bit if fight out of Sampson, after all. I need to get that taken care of before I go to Wisconsin next week, or my mother will see to it for me.

Things got particularly tricky at dessert time. I had made chocolate malt pudding; I guess Nate appeared in the kitchen demanding some and was told by Si that he couldn't have any unless he asked politely. Typical small child, he only heard the "can't have any" part and went away wailing. He came to find me in another room and sat for awhile, looking mutinous. Then he buckled on his sword with great determination and muttered,"We're going to settle this once and for all." He strode back to the kitchen, looking so dangerous that I followed him to see what he was up to. He drew arms and shouted, "Dad, I'm going to give you ONE MORE CHANCE! Are you going to give me the pudding or not!?" "Nathan, as I said, you can have pudding if you ask for it politely." "Oh. Well, can I please have some pudding?" "Yes, now you may." He was completely deflated.

15 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

Kids hey! He looks a real cutie.

And chocolate malt pudding sounds delicious. If I ask politely, could I have some too please?!

Maria said...

I was just thinking the same thing as your first reader.

What the hell is chocolate malt pudding and where can I get me some?

Anonymous said...

Yes MAY I HAVE SOME TOO PLEASE???

Cutey!

Weber said...

Where does that kid get his spunk? Oh right, it must be his mom. He is too funny.

Kate said...

OK, next post will be a pudding recipe. :)

Epimenides said...

Intimidating warrior isn't he?

I look forward to the recipe post! Yummy, yummy!!!!

Donetta said...

Oh!how funny!!!! What a little man. He is so cute! Thanks for your sweet understanding with Dash. I can see where it comes from now :)
Oh they are so darn cute it can just knock ya off you feet.

Maya said...

Soak up all the precious moments with your little warrior!

** Wisconsin's heat wave has ended, so you're lucky if your coming out now **

Donetta said...

Please come visit me. I have something for you.

Alice Kildaire said...

Man, chocolate malt pudding AND swashbuckling adventures...your kids have such a great life!! Kudos to you and Simon.

Diane said...

Kate, pretty please can you make some chocolate malt pudding when you invite me over? Port wine, chocolate and chocolate malt pudding. Yum!

Unknown said...

i love the arches!

Rebecca said...

Oh, my God, that made me giggle. Nathan's room is awesome!!

I am astonished on a daily basis by the sheer hutzbah with which our kids address us as parents. I would NEVER have done that. I love that Simon held his ground and his cool. And that Nathan did what was expected and got his pudding. Great post.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

How old is Nathan? When I saw this picture I was amazed at the resemblance to my own son! (Sans sword, of course).

Elizabeth Penmark said...

P.S. My son is also in dire need of a haircut. Perhaps that is the resemblance!