Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Short Circuit

I have been so bad about reading and posting blogs lately. There has just been a lot going on and I'm going 90 MPH.

At this pace, I'm easily disconcerted. I arrived at the office today to a list of phone calls I needed to return; some in English, some in Spanish. One Spanish message requested a return call with information about registering for classes.

I placed the call, making a little mental note: Spanish, this is a Spanish call.

Someone answered the phone with, "Bon jour?"

I froze.

"Bon jour?"

Bwoop! Bwoop! Does not compute.

"Uh...Bon jour!" I said. Then of course, I remembered that I don't speak French.

[Ridiculously long pause while my brain attempts to send a message to my mouth. The message is, "Say something you dork." ]

I found myself asking NOT, "Do you speak English?", but (in Spanish) "Do you speak Spanish?" The person switched to Spanish. Halfway through the conversation, the person realized I was not a native speaker of Spanish, and switched to native-like English.

I froze.

Does not compute.

It's like a faulty automatic transmission, which allows the car to rev! rev! rev! Before finally moving to the next gear. Be nice to me. Let's pick a language and stick with it, OK?

5 comments:

suesun said...

I'm so glad that I just teach and don't administrate. The whole idea of working during the summer is just totally anathema to me!

Great photos from your hike.

I've been away from commenting for awhile as well.... had fun reading through your blog again!

dive said...

I'm so glad it's not just me.
I have to keep up with my German neighbour, my Portuguese and French friends, my Chinese and Indian co-workers and my Japanese lessons.

I was in the Brazilian deli the other lunchtime chatting to the girls in Portuguese and Andy walked up behind me and greeted me in Japanese.
My mind shorted out and for a minute I could speak nothing but gibberish in several different languages.

I feel old and confused.

Trysha said...

Any time you want to come shopping with me at Wal-Mart in New Mexico...you let me know. I'll put your translation skills to work. :)

cinnibonbon said...

Hey ...
Great skills.. I got a chuckle out of this one. No doubt you recovered nicely!!!
Have a fabulous week!!!!!!

Gypsy Jane said...

he he - I am learning Spanish now. When I was a kid I took 5 years of French in school and 2 summers of it at camp, but never had a chance to use it so it evaporated - except when it pops in to fill in the blanks when I don't know the Spanish word. You'd THINK I'd fill them in with English, but no... silly brain.