Friday, February 6, 2009

Harassment Free Workplace

My school has about 50 employees, and only two are men. They both work in my department, so whenever the talk turns to sexual harassment, eyebrows start to waggle in my direction.

Who, me?

We were sitting in a staff meeting just tonight, talking about what might constitute sexual harassment, when one of the men walked in, went up to one of the women and said, “We’re all set! I’m just getting it enlarged. I’ll have it ready for you next week.”

He was talking about a photo, but I think I could be forgiven for blowing coffee out my nose.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

LMAO!!!!!

You know, Kate, spitting out hot coffee could create a hostile environment.

Amrita said...

Oh my goodness Kate , you 're a scream.

Splitting coffee, I would have fallen on the floor laughing...poor man.

Lulubelle B said...

Sexual harassment. Sometimes it's a tough call. One weekend, right around the time of the Clarence Thomas hearings in the early 1990s, I cut my almost waist-length hair really, really short. For more than a week none of the men in the office even acknowledged the change. It was crazy. They were so paranoid about mentioning any woman's appearance. Finally, I asked my boss, a very decent man, if he'd noticed anything different about me in the last 10 days or so. He said he hadn't. I'd cut off more than 18 inches of hair!!! For cryin' out loud!!!

Katherine said...

Lulu, that is so extreme. I don't think we should have to be THAT paranoid!

Sexual harassment is like...people hitting on you at work or following you around all day so you can't get your work done or jingling change in their pockets and then telling you how someone got in trouble for that because it looked like....you know. I can go on with examples, but I won't bore y'all.