Saturday, February 28, 2009

Three Days Later

First, of all, THANKS to everyone for your loving comments and offers of help. I have a sneaking feeling that I will need assistance (be it hot dish, booze or diversion) before this is over.

Today's chapter in this saga is an observation of my hypocrisy.



I have not managed to take the whole "I have cancer" thing on board very well. Not that I think it's a mistake, or a sick practical joke or something. It's just not a description that I can make stick, yet. I find myself thinking, "What the doctor really meant was that I have some pre-cancerous cells." (Fact check: that's not what he said. He did say "cancer".) "Or, "cancer" is WAY too big a word for this little problem. I only have a little cancer. One of my friends laughed when I expressed this notion to her and asked me if it were the same as being a little bit pregnant. I mean, does this make me sick? I don't feel sick. I feel fine. Is it fair for me to refer to myself in language that is supposed to describe a serious and desperate condition? I can even push the whole thing to the back of my mind much of the time.



But...I have to say that I was in Whole Foods today, and was drawn to their beauty products, as I always am. It all just SMELLS SO GOOD.



I was supposed to be concentrating on a treatment for Sara's plantar wart. We visited the pediatrician yesterday and showed it to her. I asked about having it removed and the doctor actually recommended an amino acid supplement called L-Methionine. She told me that, given a few months of regular doses, Sara's wart will shrink away. It works for all warts, if anyone out there suffers from warts...



I digress. I found myself returning several times to the aisle where the spa-like products are located. I was able to resist temptation only a few days ago, but this time, I could not leave without a jar of yummy, vanilla scented salt scrub. As I took it off the shelf, I thought to myself, "Hey! I need a little spoiling! I have cancer!" How's that for rewriting the story any way I want at any given moment? Pffft!



******


In other news, I searched the stacks at the local public library today for a kids' book on puberty for Sara. I have tried all along to just do the explaining myself, without help from a book. But it turns out that she's getting embarrassed; more so than me. At least I think that's what all the giggling is about. Yesterday, both she and Nate asked to look at my breast, so they could see the bruising (which it bright jaunty yellow at the moment) and steri-strip covered incision. We were sitting in the pediatrician's examining room, waiting for her to come in, so I thought, "Why not?" I pulled up my shirt and was rewarded with loud "Eeeeeewwwwww"s My dad has always said that it is important to dazzle our children.



But this morning, Sara was watching me dress, as she often does, and made disparaging comments about pubic hair. As in, "Mom, why do have hair on your butt?" My butt? I'd hardly call it my butt. This child lacks some useful terminology. At any rate, I replied that all grown ups do. "Even Dad?" "Yes, everyone." What about hair in your armpits?" I lifted my arm to show her. "I would, but I shave it off." "Am I going to get hair everywhere?" "When you're a grownup, you'll have body hair like everyone else." I asked her if she wanted me to get her a book at the library that would offer more details on the whole hair question, as well as periods, where babies come from, etc... She liked the idea, so when we got there I went straight to the children's librarian and asked her for help. We examined several before finally choosing this one.







When I gave it to Sara, though, she just glanced at it quickly and whisked it away to her room. I suspect she may be poring over it with a flashlight right now.

8 comments:

Fardde said...

this post is so cute, sara's questions. i wouldn't have dared ask if i were younger again! haha.

by the way, i bought myself a nail buffer from The Bodyshop and it works as well as that 50dollars Dead Sea nail kit! give it a try! =)

Anonymous said...

You don't need to digress for anything. You're such a talented writer (as this blog obviously testifies), and you're ability articulate your thoughts & feelings are a real treasure. Myself, & everyone you touch are truly blessed by the gift you make of yourself just being you.

I'm with, we're all with you.


J. Knight

joannmski said...

Kate, I am so sorry to hear about what is going on. I don't know you in "real" life, but wish you all the best. I would send over a killer dinner basket complete with wine and nice dessert if I lived closer. I know that you are healthy in body, great attitude, and will get through this all...wish you well through the treatments and such.

The World According To Me said...

I've been thinking about you. I'm sending you strong and positive thoughts.

As for Sara's book, I remember my mother presenting me with a similar one, and sitting in my bedroom reading it with wonder...

Lulubelle B said...

Hi Kate -

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was away from Blogville this week and just checked back in.

It took me a while to fully process the "I have cancer" thing. I had to practice saying it out loud for a few days before I could tell anyone. It sounds like you've got good support, especially with your mom. I found talking to a social worker at a cancer support group was helpful, as were several long conversations with my oncologist.

Hang in there. Read all you can and ask every large and small question that occurs to you. There are no stupid questions and no illegitimate reactions. Although you and Si have tons of other stuff going on, remember to take time for yourself to deal and heal. My thoughts are with you.

- Lulu
xoxoxo

Maria said...

And you know what pissed me off the most? The timing. I got my diagnosis when I had about ten billion other things on my plate, as you do.

But, then, I realized that this was sort of a gift, you know? I didn't have the time to just sit around bawling.

Katherine said...

You know, my mom gave ME a book. But it was called "A Doctor Talks to 9-12 Year-Olds."

There was no mention of hair or breasts or periods. It talked about love and the nuclear family. I skipped all that and went right for the one line about sex. It read something like, "Then the male inserts the penis into the woman's vagina. This embrace gives both parties great pleasure." Talk about trying to indoctrinate! I mean, is this ALWAYS what happens in sex? And does the "embrace" ALWAYS give pleasure? Sheesh. What a bunch of liars.

Good for you, Kate, for getting your daughter a USEFUL book.

And go treat yourself...not because you have cancer but because you deserve to indulge!

suesun said...

Kate, email me your mailing address, if you don't mind...
it's time to pay it forward.
xoxoxoxo