Friday, October 22, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends Wear Flip-Flops, I Guess


BTW, do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture of your own foot? I mean from the side? I almost rammed my heel through my monitor.
Yesterday, I was perishing for a stiff drink by 11 AM. What, only 10 more hours to go?
I started off by calling a student who has been missing school, to ask her to please get her butt back here (in the nicest possible way, of course). After a number of rings, the line picked up, but the only voice was a SCREAMING little baby. Either the kid answered himself or the mother just held the phone on front of the baby's gaping maw. "This'll show that meddling teacher. I'll sic the BABY on her!" Meanwhile, I was calling, "Hola? Bueno? BUEno. Eh, BUENO!! BUUUUEEEENNNNOOOOO? Buenobuenobueno?"
And, I discovered that my carefully planned tutor training workshop was going to be FUBAR. In order for this new routine to work, we need an activity for the students who are displaced when their volunteers come to the training. We have a special class for them, built up around an episode of the Cosby Show. Yeah, I know, we should just buy the season we want instead of ordering it off my Netflix account. However due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off: effective immediately. I was unconcerned until I received, instead of Cosby Show, Wild at Heart, with an e-mail notice explaining that Cosby Show is not currently available, and that Netflix hopes I enjoy Wild at Heart instead. I love Wild at Heart. But would an elderly Vietnamese lady be able to learn much English from it? "I bet you can fuck like a bunny?" Yeah, and don't tell me that Cosby Show is on YouTube. Guadalupe blocks YouTube, just to mess with me and stop me from watching Kevin Federline sing Dick in a Box all day.
And then there were the shoes. I run right before I go to work, so I have to put my work clothes in my gym bag and change in the girls' room when I arrive. I had my cute little outfit with the pink camisole and brown shortie sweater with my brown and pink skirt, and no ...shoes. I looked again. Nope, still no shoes. Ooooh, my Nikes are going to look so HOT with this outfit. Shit. Inspiration! Months ago, B. swiped a colleague's flip flops and hid them. This was an unsuccessful practical joke, since the colleague never even noticed they were gone; and B. forgot about it. I went and checked the hiding place. Still there! Yes! Really dusty, ugly black rubber and, you know how some flip flops make a sexy little snick, snick, snick as you walk along? These go FWOP FWOP FWOP. Lots of smirking. My colleague W. would never be caught dead in ugly shoes at work. Neither would she ever forget to bring shoes. She brought me this pair and gave them to me. Not such a bad day after all. Thanks, W.!

1 comment:

anantadharma said...

Will Guadalupe let you stream Netlix on-demand video? One summer, Rosie and I watched all six seasons of Xena...