Monday, August 25, 2008

Emerging from Hell

Well, I have had a lot to blog about, and consequently, no time to write.

I wrote a few days ago, about one of the new teachers I had just hired (the one to replace the one who “needed to think”), and how I felt I had been duped by a half-truth she told me. It was an exciting blog-entry (in my opinion), but I didn’t have time to spell-check it, so I saved it for later posting. I was on a conference call with the schools’ attorneys deciding what course of action to take. We decided what we were going to do and the lawyer finished the conversation with, “Now, you haven’t e-mailed anyone about this, right? Nothing in writing that could be used against you later?” For a minute, I thought about saying, “Oh, no! Of course not! Just my blog…” just to hear him freak. No, better not. Maybe I’ll be able to post that entry one of these days.

All in all, it’s been a challenging few weeks. There was:

1. The above-mentioned hiring debacle, which I’ll write about some day, when I’m sure we won’t get sued;
2. The two-week notice of yet another (valuable, much-loved) staff member. I feel like we’re going to be in hiring mode forever. Which sucks;
3. The first day of school today, which means that we are about to embark upon “life without after-school child care”;
4. My peach tree is dying, my Roma tomatoes have blossom-end rot, and I’ll bet I’m not going to get any beans.

But we go forward.

On the upside, I’m getting some new windows today. The installer is here putting them in, which is why I am working (or not working) from home. Nate is here, ‘cause he doesn’t start school until tomorrow. It’s hot and windy, so I’m working on the sun porch, where I can catch a breeze. We are watching the progress of a wildfire in what looks like the Corner Canyon area. The house is filled with an early-sunset light (it’s 2:00) and throat-scorching smoke (smells like a campfire!).

In a couple hours, I will take Nate and walk to the school to meet Sara and her little friend Nikki. This is Day One of the Diggins / Bennett Childcare Co-op:
Monday: Kate comes home early to meet the kids
Tuesday: Si home early
Wednesday: One of the Bennetts home early
Thursday: Ah…. That’s a problem.
Friday: One of the Bennetts home early

Thursdays, Sara and Nathan will have to ride the school bus home and let themselves in the house. They’ll do homework and productive, helpful chores while waiting for their father to get home. Or beat the s*** out of each other, like my brother and I used to do. And call me, screaming, "MOM! S/HE'S TRYING TO KILL ME!!!" We are wait-listed for every after-school program that picks up from their school. The principal had promised an after-school program on Thursdays, but it’s “Studio Kids”, a for-profit venture committed to making my daughter look like Britney and sing like Miley. What would they do with Nate? The mind boggles. We'll pass.

And…I have resumes.
[drum roll]

1. A post-graduate student in Educational Psychology from the University. From Mali. Finishing his PhD. Credentials to die for, but has never taught ESL.
2. A bank teller who speaks Spanish.
3. An administrative assistant with a degree in Linguistics from the University of Vilnius (Lithuania), who has never taught ESL.
4. A guy whose Employment Objective is to “find a position to help [him] expand [his] current Internet knowledge”. No teaching qualifications or experience whatsoever.
5. AND three resumes that actually have some promise.

Life is good. And smells like a campfire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hard choices! I'd go for the bank teller who speaks Spanish... I think....