Thursday, August 14, 2008

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I must, as with all my book reviews, preface this one with my standard caveat. This is not a real book review. This is just Kate's pedestrian and provincial view . If you're looking for a real book review, please exit now.

(Sigh!)

Let me start by saying that I was an English major. I have read some weighty tomes. I have waded though some complex prose. And enjoyed it, even.

I also want to say that I love a lot of Latin American writers, and magical realism is a device that works for me.

So WHY, WHY, WHY did I dislike this book so much?? It's not fair. It's not right. We're talking about a Nobel laureate, here. Lots of people GOT IT, obviously. I tried, but could not finish the book.

On my "Damn Good Read" scale, this rates a 5 out of 10.

One Hundred Years of Solitude is a sweeping epic of one family through love, through war, through flood, imperialism and insomnia epidemics. Does that make you think you'll care? I thought I would, too, at first. But the epic is so sweeping that minor details like... follow-though, rationale or character development are simply swept away. Generation after generation of characters is named the the same: Arcadio and Aureliano. Jose Arcadio, Aureliano Jose, Jose Aureliano Segundo, Arcadio Jose. It's true that in many cultures, names are used and reused; but here it's merely confusing, because Marquez doesn't give you enough insight into any one character's nature to actually differentiate between them. I needed to check the family tree at the front of the book over and over, until I stopped caring.


Quality writing: Well, for heaven's sake! It's Gabriel Garcia Marquez! How can I fault the quality of the writing? It's beautiful. I had a good translation, and read bits aloud to myself in order to really experience the language. Rating: 9

Interesting characters: Yeah, sure. And just as I started to get to know one, s/he would suddenly ascend to heaven on a freshly washed basket of laundry or be sent to a convent in Brussels, never to return. WTF?! Rating: 5

Plot structure: If only I hadn't cared about such a minor matter as a coherent story... Unfortunately though, I did. Silly me. Rating: 4

Addictiveness: I always try to finish books. For me not to finish means it was a real drag. Rating: 2

Now, maybe someone out there has some insight into this book. If you have the key, and would like to enlighten me, please do so. I feel guilty for not loving this book. Save me from myself.

3 comments:

Weber said...

As I told you, I got to page 10 and gave up. Life is too damn short to spend so much time pondering over a book you do not enjoy. There are so many books and so little time!
-Shirley

Katherine said...

I've just had a similar experience with Joseph Conrad. Long ago, I believe I actually did read "Heart of Darkness" but it must have been in conjunction with seeing "Apocalypse Now" because I don't remember the book being so obtuse on its own. "The horror" indeed!

My text shares its cover with "The Secret Sharer" which I absolutely loved and don't think I ever read before. In my mind, "Sharer" is much more compelling, metaphorical, symbolic, and readable.

Sorry about Gabe. No one says just because they are famous writers you have to like them, though.

Maria said...

I think it is great that you slogged through as much as you did. If I am not engaged by page 40, I give up.