Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Salt Dough Utah

Here, 4th grade is devoted to Utah Studies. Generation after generation, new groups of kids take on the perennial "Salt Dough Utah" project (hereafter referred to as SDU).

I suppose that, for kids that are kinesthetic learners, there is a point to the whole thing. Besides testing my ability to accurately cut a 12 x 9 inch piece of cardboard.
Nate wanted to make one, too. Unrestricted by a two-page packet of "SDU Guidelines" like his sister, he just made whatever the hell he wanted.

After rolling, SDU needs to be trimmed.

You can see that Sara has already added part of the Uinta range. Utah is a pretty easy shape. Woe betide the child who has to make a salt dough Alaska, Florida or Hawaii. But think of Salt Dough Kansas. Roll, trim, and you're done.

Now the Oquirrs... and the Wasatch...

Nate made Utah not as it is, but how he wishes it were. Lots of arches.

Rivers are formed with a Popsicle stick.


Then, after some time to dry ("several days!", read the instructions. More like 30 minutes), it's time to paint.


Orange = Colorado Plateau = great camping
Brown = Great Basin = more great camping
Green = Temperate Alpine = kind of crowded camping
Purple = Mountain Ranges = why camp when you can ski?
Now all we have to do is get it to the school in one piece.

7 comments:

Amrita said...

Very nice such a good project for kids. My state has an awful shape, it would take Michaelangelo to carve it

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a neat idea. I think that's really cool.


Anonymously is my name,
Anonymity is my game.

John

Diane said...

Fun!

cinnibonbon said...

Salt dough...umm?

never heard of it!!! LOL..Good for me cause Texas might have been pretty difficult!!

Great pics!

Coco said...

Wow Sara's looks alot cooler than mine ever did!

dive said...

What a brilliant project, Kate!
Wonderful.

Maria said...

My Liv is in 4th grade too. They are studying Indian tribes and famous explorers. She had to do a map of her tribe and I found the whole project to be extremely stressful. Why I was stressed out is beyond me....since it wasn't MY homework...