Monday, March 9, 2009

Nipple in the Spotlight

Whee! We got wireless Internet: I can blog upstairs, downstairs, on the porch, in my bed...

If I blog more frequently, I can blog about other things that are on my mind, not just the stupid cancer. Thank God, there really is more to life; even now, as surgery looms ever closer.

And considering that I'm about to get a body part taken off, I have to say that the news there is all fairly good.

Good News of the Day

  1. I have Ductal Carcinoma in Situ, which is a form of cancer that is 95% curable with a total mastectomy.
  2. It's only on one side.
  3. I can have reconstruction on the same day as the mastectomy, and insurance includes any work that needs to be done on the other side to even things up, so to speak. I'm not sure, but I think this may be surgeon language for "If you ever wanted anything done, now's your chance!"
  4. I get to keep my nipple.

Actually, the whole nipple thing is a major distraction to me. Saving it is a concession granted by my surgeon, provided I am willing to have a short course of radiation, to make sure there isn't any cancer hiding in there.

At first, when I met with him, he said they wouldn't save it; but when I pulled a face, he said, "Well, we can tattoo one on for you."

What? I don't want a drawn-on one.

"Or, we could fashion one for you about of skin taken from your thigh or your labia." Wha-? Oh, ouchie. Yeah, let's mutilate me a little MORE!

You know, what other chance does the nipple get to take center stage? Existing under wraps, while hands and face get all the attention. And talk about being type-cast. There's this big Madonna/whore role, but that's it. Now, it will be my only body part to actually have taken a journey. To be detached and go...somewhere, returning later. I find myself wondering, where will it go? Will there be a special tray on which to lay it? Or a surgical assistant whose only chore is to hold it and not drop it, rather like holding the lug nuts while someone helps you change a tire? Or will they just set it on my belly until they need it again? Maybe it will be a lot more boring than I imagine: they don't quite detach it, but just push it to one side like a manhole cover.

A friend asked me about radiation. I believe they start that after I am all healed up from the surgery, so the nipple will be back in its original location. Which is good. Better than the surgeon and the radiological oncologist trotting off the the staff room and popping it in the microwave.

9 comments:

Alice Kildaire said...

I'm so glad you got such great news. I hate that you're having to go through this at all, 95% sounds like terrific odds and getting to keep your own nipple seems like a tremendous victory!

super hero said...

i am really sorry to hear what you have been experiencing. i just hope you will get better soon. and dont forget, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. -or stranger, as joker says it.

Amrita said...

Sorry you have to go through this Kate. Wish you a speedy recovery and may you come out clean and clear.

Weber said...

Since we've already discussed our nipple theories, I want to comment on the whole wireless thing. You are going to love it! The fact that you can get on the internet from any corner of the house is amazing. Rich and I have been known to spend a late Sunday afternoon on the front porch with a glass of wine and our laptops. How's that for geeks?

Katherine said...

Oh Kate, it's so good you retain your sense of humor!! And that really is great news (the bulletted items).

I wouldn't go with the tattoo either--though it would make you kind of a rebel which can be cool.

Lighting a candle for you, my friend.....

The World According To Me said...

95% is a brilliant percentage. And you can keep your nipple. And you have a wireless modem. Things aint so bad after all!
Just make sure the nipple is no where near the microwave.

Take care and keep remembering the good news.

Susan in Lille said...

95%? Wow - you even make good grades where your boobs are concerned! So glad to hear the good nipple news!

Tell your doctor you want to make sure it's put back in place right side up so that when you get cold they both point in the same direction. ;-)

Lulubelle B said...

Humor is a great way to cope. Life is ridiculous - why not laugh? Loved the image of an assistant holding your nip in the palm of her hand during your surgery. Hang in there kiddo!

Diane said...

I'm with Susan (about making sure it's right side up). LOL. Amazing. I'm thinking of you lots, Kate my dear, and it was good to hear your voice yesterday. Call me when you're okay to talk, or write me if that's easier.