Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sliding

I have never been really depressed. The worst I can say for myself is that I have had a couple of gloomy days now and then. But this is it- I've arrived. I cry at the drop of a hat. I can't stand to get up in the mornings. I lie on this god-awful sofa by the hour, trying to think healing thoughts. For impatient me, this is kind of like, "Heeeeaaaaallllllll......heeeeeaaaaallllll. Oh, for God's sake, just heal up NOW, would ya'?"

I know what would cheer me up. I would feel better if:
  1. The pain would end. Sometimes, if I lie perfectly still, I can pretend I'm OK. Then I move. For a person who was like a perpetual motion machine before, this is torture. It's always something: the armpit pain from the lymph nodes that came out; the tissue expander under my chest muscle; the horrible nipple and its attempt to stay with me; the nerve-damaged skin.
  2. The progress were faster. Sometimes, I feel a little better. Maybe I stagger out to inspect the (increasingly weedy) gardens and peer muzzily up at the sun. Maybe I sort of prepare a meal. Then I collapse on the sofa to hang out with my pain for a while. If I'm lucky, I find the oblivion of sleep there, which then makes me feel guilty for wasting the day away. Soon, it will be 3 weeks. How much longer does this go on?
  3. I could be at work. At work, I can at least do paperwork, handle phone calls, solve problems, speak Spanish. I feel competent and it's a distraction. My boss, not understanding, keeps telling me that I should go home. At home, everything I look at is a reproach: the yard, the house, the kids. Especially the kids. Everything here requires movement. And I am particularly low because it's Spring break, and I've been stuck at home since Thursday with my poor kids. I still have to make it through tomorrow before I can go back to work.
I am also glum because my very good friend E. has just been diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. She's having a lumpectomy on Wednesday, to be followed by radiation. If she's lucky, that will be the end of it... I hope that luck will be hers. I am still such a mess from my own surgery that I will be about as helpful to her as a screwdriver and a handful of nails.

AND I'm glum because I met with the radiation oncologist a few days ago. In order to be absolutely sure that the cancer will not be back (some of it was rather close to my skin), they would like to treat me. The surgeon had warned me that, in order to keep the reluctant nipple, I might have to have "a couple" rads. There is no partial treatment, according to the oncologist. This would be something like 35 (?) sessions. Radiation reduces the chances of a successful reconstruction to just 50/50. I am going through agony to be reconstructed, and I don't like 50/50. The chances of a recurrence are only about 5%. Yeah, I'd like to be 100% sure we are finished with cancer, but that 5% is a pretty expensive margin of security. The oncologist was careful not to try to push me one way or the other. I will need to decide. I started crying in her office when she told me that I would have to undergo a full series of treatments. I told her that I couldn't make this decision right now. I need to heal up a little more. The pain makes me all weepy and stubborn and irrational. Maybe the pain will be less soon and I can be clear-headed about the choice.

THEN there's the medical oncologist next week. They want me to go on tamoxifen, which should prevent the cancer from showing up in the right breast. It's an estrogen inhibitor. Will it send me into some sort of early menopause? I guess I'll learn more when I go in next week.

Summer is coming. I can see that hiking, camping, backpacking, all the things I love to do, may be out of the question this year. I can't even pull a f***ing weed at the moment. I can't even sleep in my own bed (I have to sleep propped up on the sofa). Run? I can barely walk. I can barely drive. The thought of going to the supermarket is daunting.

I don't want to have a cancer blog. I try to find other things to write about, but cancer is the 900 pound gorilla in my living room at the moment, and I think about little else. To the detriment of all the things I used to take an interest in. Surely this will come to an end? Will I eventually have other things that catch my eye? This should be a lesson to me. The boredom of the suburbs was a blessing, and I will be grateful to plod along through it, if I get that chance again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there... it seems like the 900 lb gorilla right now...but once you're better and the treatments and whatever are finished...you can then look life again in the eye and enjoy life in the however boring burbs! You're allowed to get down in the dumps..I don't think you're letting yourself do that... you need to just let it all out a time or two... I bet you would feel lots better afterwards....

Alice Kildaire said...

This is one of those things the oncologists never tell you...an aspect you can never be totally prepared for. Cancer completely changes your life, at least for a while, as you're going through the treatments, as you're dealing with the havoc it wreaks on your body. Most people experience a distinct sense of loss...they mourn the life they had, the healthy body they had, before cancer attacked. Just like all mourning, there's a whole grief process that must be worked through. I agree with JYankee...it's ok for you to allow yourself some down in the dumps time. In fact, I think it's almost necessary. You wouldn't expect someone who had just lost a loved one to not feel sad, scared, angry, etc. and your loss is no different. The stages are the same - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. The process insists you work through each stage, and absolutely refuses to allow you to skip a stage.

Hang in there Kate...this is temporary. You WILL feel better and you WILL reclaim your life.

I know you'll make the right decision regarding treatment for you and you family. Just know that in addition to your friends and family who love you, you have a whole lot of folks out here in cyberspace who think the world of you and will do what we can to help.

Diane said...

Oh, my poor buddy Kate... enough of the not allowing sympathy - it sounds as though you've finally realized you need it. I agree with the above comments that you should let it out - you can mourn and you deserve to feel sorry for yourself. This is HUGE. Remember, though, just like I will when I get through the worst of losing my mom, you will get back to doing what you love to do. I should've called this weekend as I'd planned to - I could have come out to entertain you/help you, but I was having my own pity party. (more on that when we talk... family matters). Call me! Especially when you're in the dumps and need some company... I can come over or we can yak over the phone. Lots of love from Diane

suesun said...

"I don't want to have a cancer blog"....... I know EXACTLY what you mean! But you know what, we don't mind. And I'm sorry I've been out of touch; your story has haunted me more than I thought, and I just want you to know that I have been following along.