Monday, May 4, 2009

Yet Another Lost Item

I was getting up from the supper table last night, when I heard something tiny but kind of heavy fall to the floor, ping a couple of times, bump against my foot and go shooting away to who-knows-where. You know when it hits your foot a certain way, it could have flown 30 feet.

I figured it was one of the usual bits of kid-jetsam: a bead, a Lego, a ball bearing, a Runt. Whatever. I let it go and figured I'd find it later when I was sweeping. Or it's under the bookcase, which means it's just gone forever.

It did not occur to me that it could be something VALUABLE until I looked down at myself while changing and noticed that the twist-top had come off my piercing.

I was getting tired of the little barbell I wear in my navel. It has been the same one since I got the piercing back in the mid-life crisis of '03. I was thinking that I would buy something new...blue maybe. Or green. It has held on tight all these years, but I had to take it out multiple times in the last few weeks: MRI, both surgeries... Si has to put it back in for me, and maybe he didn't tighten it quite enough. I am bummed because:
  • I'm a cheapskate. It was just a fake sparkly stone in it, but the barbell cost me about $40.
  • Koi, the piercing place, doesn't open until 10:00 and it isn't near work. Waiting around for it to open tomorrow will suck - I have a lot of work waiting for me.
  • Yeah, I wanted a new one; but it would have been nice to have two, you know...to have a choice...

I hunted for the little thingy, without luck. I offered $5 to the child who could find it. Nope. I don't really have time to go to Koi tomorrow, but if the barbell drops out entirely, I will have to be quick before the hole closes. I spent the day trying to keep the barbell in. Maybe my waistband would be enough... No, it started hurting and when I checked on the piercing, it had almost fallen out. You know when you lose an earring-back and you put a little piece of eraser back there? That doesn't work on your navel. Neither does tape. Then I tried chewing a little gum and sticking some gum on the end. In order to deal with the stickiness of that, I put a Band-aid over the whole thing. It dropped out while I was washing dishes tonight. Booger. Now I will have to go to Koi tomorrow. I suppose, too, that I have a gum-filled and Band-Aid-covered navel to deal with.

8 comments:

Katherine said...

You're radical, woman!

And you have the kind if tummy a belly-button ring looks great in--sans gum, of course.

Talk about a lint catcher.

Anonymous said...

Gee Kate, life really is starting to suck for you. (just kidding) :)


John

Diane said...

Hey, I never thought of using an eraser on the back of an earring. Is that why the label for this posting is what it is?

Alice Kildaire said...

Maybe it will turn up later so you can have your choice as to which to where. I'm jealous. I wanted a naval piercing so bad and finally got one a couple years ago (during my early-onset midlife crisis, figuring I should do such a thing before I turned 30) but it never took. I had too much scar tissue in the area and it refused to heal properly so I finally gave up and took it out.

The World According To Me said...

It never ceases to amaze me how some things seem to vanish into thin air!
I had my belly pierced a few years ago but the person who peirced it was drunk and didn't pierce it correctly. The result was a gammy, painful belly button. I regreted asking her.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. a pierced belly button...I want you as a mom! Ha ha...hope you could make it to Koi's on time..

cinnibonbon said...

Hey hey girl


Happy Mother's Day!!!!!

suesun said...

I went to see about getting my navel pierced when I turned 40. The guy looked at my tummy and said something like, "well, sometimes they don't come out right when there's that much skin."
ugh.......

you have just elevated yourself to an even cooler status than you were before!