Sunday, May 10, 2009

Klutz's Kitchen

I haven't done a cooking post for awhile - I haven't been doing much culinary stuff lately. But the new issue of my cooking magazine featured yummy things to do with strawberries, including this lovely-looking cake. All right!


I am going to forgive this cake for being girlie-girl pink. Strawberries will do that. And the color of the cake has nothing to do with breast cancer. You get breast cancer, next thing you find yourself surrounded by pink stuff. I don't think the cake is sending me a subliminal message or anything (Bake for the Cure)... Whatever. A thing of beauty is a joy until it's all eaten up, so here we go.
Cake:
1 1/4 C sliced strawberries
2 1/4 C flour
2 1/4 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
2 lg. eggs
2 lg. egg whites
1 C low-fat buttermilk
1/4 t red food coloring
Frosting:
3 oz low-fat cream cheese
1/3 C butter, softened
2 T Grand Marnier (or cheap knock0off)
3 C powdered sugar
[A little inspiration before starting]
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. To prepare cake, place sliced strawberries in food processor; process until smooth.

3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Place granulated sugar and 1/2 C butter in a lg. bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well-blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in egg whites. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add pureed strawberries and food coloring; beat until just blended.
Ooooh. Gratifyingly pink. Geeze, do we even need the food coloring? Well, I will obey the instructions.
4. Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray. Well, I don't have 8-inch rounds. I have 9-inch rounds. No biggie - I just won't bake it as long.
Damn, that's pretty!
Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Um... first sign of trouble. They are looking a little flat. I don't think this is just about the 9-inch pans. I wish I could ignore the fact that Salt Lake City is at something like 5,000 feet above sea level but...I think that reality is about to hit home.
Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. (Sigh!) Yep. Should've modified the recipe... Still, it looks golden and lovely. Well, this one does. The other one had a crumbly time coming out of the pan.


5. To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, 1/3 C butter, and liqueur in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until just blended. Gradually add powdered sugar, and beat until just blended.
6. Frost cake and garnish with strawberries. Oh dear. It's looking irrevocable.
Then comes the phenomenon in which the cake crumbles under the pressure of being frosted, and you realize that you have created a shitty mess. Shall we scroll back up to the top of the page to look at the magazine photo? Oh, let's not.
Then you remember that you are NOT planning on entering this cake in the county fair, and that strawberries cover a multitude of sins. Notice Nathan's thieving mitts right there. He is undaunted by the cake's ugliness. Or its mass. Si ate it with relish, raving, "Wow, this almost competes with your biscuits for the title of Densest Matter in the Universe!'
They all loved it, which proves one of my pet theories: kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE dessert, no matter the quality. I told them, "I could mix up some butter and sugar for you guys, and you'd love it." Nate said, "A perfect dessert just needs butter, sugar and wine." I think he meant the Grand Marnier?

7 comments:

Weber said...

For a minute I thought I was looking at "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" blog, but your cake saved the day. Loved it!

Anonymous said...

How about whipping up one o' these for our trip on Sunday? Just thinkin out loud.
See ya.
Robert.

Lulubelle B said...

Lady Fingers, Whipped Cream, Strawberries...what more do you need? I wish I could find my recipe for strawberry pie. It was amazing, but it disappeared and I cannot remember which magazine it came from. [sigh]

The World According To Me said...

I'm sure that cake in the magazine is not real?! At least yours looked real! I bet it tasted great too.

Coco said...

Seriously the stuff that comes out of Nate's mouth is so funny! That cake looks freakin' de-lish

Diane said...

I miss ya, Kate! Please call or write me!

Amrita said...

Wow can I have a slice of that.