Monday, July 13, 2009

Grapefruit

Well, small-ish grapefruit. Or large oranges?

Not like Maxi Mounds, here. But this is precisely how I feel. Except I can't raise my arm, yet.

The pain from my surgery is diminishing. I'm a little tired and a little sore, is all. I can't wait to feel well enough to get back to the gym. Maybe next week?

Ever since the mastectomy, I have been checking out everyone else's boobs. The track on which I run at the rec center is elevated, circling the gym and providing a view onto the floor below. For the last several months, they have been holding a Zoomba class down there, so I run laps while the ladies (and an occasional guy) shake their jiggly bits to Latin fusion. From above, I get a view right down the shirt of every woman there, so it's been a smorgasbord of boobs right there under my nose. Literally.

I think to myself, "Honey, you have a great set! I wonder if I'm going to end up with cleavage like that? Actually ANY kind of cleavage would be awesome."

"Those ones are too big.......a little too big.......too small.......Ah-hah! There! There's a set I'd like!"

So, OK. I have my new boobs now, and they are freaking me out. I sort of thought that this would be a fun stage. Mostly, it's just weird. It's a little bit like someone stapled a couple of mangoes to my chest. I can't feel them. When I walk past a mirror, I do a double-take. What the hell!?!? I usually stop and peer at them. You know when you hold a mirror up in front of a cat? Like that. A couple of times, I have tried to open a closet or cupboard, and been puzzled as to why it is stuck. My boobs are in the way, and I can't tell. I back up an inch and open the cupboard.

I am a little bit afraid of them. Dr. Perfect told me that every time I go to the bathroom, I should reach my arms across my chest, grab the outside of each breast and push upward and in a few times. This is to prevent scar tissue. I dread these exercises, because I can feel the new twins with my hands, but they register nothing. I will admit, though, that they are sort of soft and nice. They are warm like the rest of my skin. I will get used to them. Maybe when the feeling comes back to the right side (formerly known as Tater-Tot, but in need of another moniker, now) in a couple more weeks, they will seem less bizarre. Leftie won't have any feeling for a year or two, but I can deal with that if I can feel the other side.

Now, [vigorous rubbing together of hands] this is the part where I emerge from the turmoil of the last several months and get my life back. Before The Knee and The Cancer, I used to have interests, a sense of humor, a social life, a marriage. I have come somewhat unmoored from all these little anchors. For now, I can stop thinking of myself as a cancer patient. I can go back to being who I was. Or I could change some things. I have a new torso, for heaven's sake! Doesn't that mean all things are possible? I guess I'll at least have to get a new running bra. Maybe we'll start there.

8 comments:

Alice Kildaire said...

I wonder if Hallmark makes a "congratulations on your new boobs" card? There could be a market.

Your sense of humor has remained in tact through all this. I'm glad to hear you'll be able to get back to your "real" life now.

Katherine said...

Kate, Alice is right. You never lost your sense of humor and that is crucial to recovery and everything else in life, don't you think?

I didn't even know you could get feeling back in fake boobs. Thank you for sharing that information. It's kind of amazing in a way. How do they do that?

Anonymous said...

HAPPY (upcoming) BIRTHDAY, KATE!!!!!!!!


Anonymously, John K.

Rich said...

So, Kate, is that a preview of your "bad taste" costume for the weekend?

cinnibonbon said...

You're cracking me up...even though I know you are feeling major pain! I'm glad you are keeping light of all this. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get used to your new figure and you won't be feeling yourself up much longer!! LOL...hang in there girl.

Weber said...

Kate, you crack me up. Looking for to Camp Misconduct!

Weber said...

That's supposed to say forward not for to...you'd think I was already drinking those Mambo Margueritas.

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Kate,
Holy crap!
Robert.