Monday, February 4, 2008

Chills

BTW, my spell-checker isn't working. Is it me, or is it Blogger? Let's see how many typos we can find, here...

*****

Simon has been sick with flu for a long time. I mean flat-on-his-back sick. Sleep-all-day sick. Too sick to pee standing up. We're on day 7 at this point. Yesterday, he seemed to be doing a little better. I took the kids up to Snowbird for ski-school, and he had me bring home some files he wanted; he ironed a couple of shirts and did the dishes after supper. But then he was exhausted and went straight to bed. Today, he's relapsed. He has always insisted that ironing is bad for his health, and now we have proof.

I am getting paranoid that I'm going to catch this bug. On Saturday, I thought I felt a little bit of a chill. "This is it! It's the BIG ONE! This is what I get for kissing Germ-Bag 10 days ago..." To increase my fluid intake and change my overall Ph balance, thereby killing the evil invaders, I poured myself a large orange juice with plenty of tequila. Then I was dizzy. [Gasp!] Another symptom. "Si! How did yours start?!" "Chills. And dizziness." "I'm dizzy! S***!" "You're drunk, actually."

Yesterday, my throat was a little scratchy, and I thought, "OMG! Now THIS has to be it! Not now! Not now! We can't both have it at the same time! The children will starve! The laundry will pile up!" I had brought work home from the office over the weekend, and I worked until past midnight, thinking, "Hah! If I get this done, I can be sick." I went to bed, thinking I was going to incapacitated in the morning, for sure. I even slept poorly, waiting for my flu to arrive. I feel great today. And I'm ahead on my office work.

The suspense is killing me. It's only a matter of time.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

lol! That's a funny post. Sorry Simon is sick, but your paranoia....I like the tequila home remedy :) I tried that one in college, but used vodka instead. Caught the cold, was hungover, and begged to take the bio final the next day. Denied. Shit. Got a c on the exam, and didn't tough OJ for 15 years.

r.

Erin said...

Apparently its spread across the country. My dad flew in to help me move on Thursday (moving was to take place on Sat) - that night I got a stomach flu - I haven't eaten since Thursday night - Dad just flew home and apparently started getting sick on the plane...

The World According To Me said...

My spell check isn't working either! And I rely on it!

Hope you've still managed to avoid the chill germs!

Maria said...

Liv was sick for two days last week and it took all I had not to cringe when she hugged me. BAD MOTHER! BAD MOTHER. But, all I could think was that if I caught her cold, who was gonna stay home and take care of me? And who was going to do all my stuff? The same person who ALWAYS does it not matter how I feel? Me.

super hero said...

i didnt even know there was a spell checker, lol. that explains.

i hope you are all right and he is allright, too.

Anonymous said...

If you want to avoid catching the flu...take this advice:

Wash your hands frequently, don't rub your eyes, & for God-sake, keep those fingers out of your nose! (lol)

Seriously though, washing your hands a gazillion times a day & not rubbing your eyes will work magic.

"Hopefully", 20-years working for a State Public Health Lab taught me a few things about disease-avoidance. :)

But, Hey....you're a mom...you already know this stuff. :)


Anonymously, John

Elizabeth Penmark said...

You are too funny. I hope you don't get it.

Amrita said...

My spell check is not working too Kate. The aliens must have invaded blogger.

Hope you don 't have the flu...and your children won 't starve LOL