Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nate

I know you were a little bummed out initially that you didn't get a "kid party" this year. Last year was your turn, and Sara gets one this year. With the two birthdays only five days apart, that's that best I can manage, kid. But you did get your absolute favorite supper: penne with shrimp and zucchini. Nate! Stay out of that!


You never want a homemade cake. It always has to be an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins. With flowers. The candles don't match. I have four that are shaped like cars and two that are shaped like crayons.
This year, it was all about Star Wars. Dad gave you Star Wars Legos, including little action figures with...light sabers. Light sabers, Nate, not life savers. And I gave you Transformers that change from Han Solo and Chewbaca into the Millenium Falcon. You need to stop referring to Chewbaca as "Julie". He goes by "Chewie" for short, but if you call him "Julie", you'll piss him off.

You're six, now. That sounds old, all of a sudden. I was doing some more cleaning in the basement. I found the little suit you wore home from the hospital. I wonder what the pockets are supposed to be for - your wallet?

There was a calendar that hung over your changing table, too. I would make notes on it, like:
  • Slept through the night!
  • Nate has stomach flu.
  • I have stomach flu.
  • Removed all the cassettes from the cassette rack.
  • Ate bananas!
  • Ate sweet potatoes!
  • Ate apple sauce!
  • Ate soot (that was at the cabin, when we had the wood stove).
Happy birthday, Nate. I'm glad you don't eat soot any more.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Nate!

I called them life savers too. ^.^

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday nate! his birthday is the same as my mil's and baby bean is on the 16th she'll be 6 too! hey life savers..and chewie..julie..all the same right??? LOL

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Happy Birthday, Nate! They grow so quickly...Mine will be four next month.

Anonymous said...

Your best blog entry yet. :)


Anonymously, John

suesun said...

We have that same transformer! .....
I love birthdays, too.
And I'm wondering, with two rhyming names in the family, do your family members ever mix them up, or do you ever get called things like, "Kane" or "Nake"? :-)

Katherine said...

Fab pics, Kate!!! What a little cutie you have. Soot, eh? Well. I am feeling much better now about sand and rocks and....

Maria said...

A little soot is good for them.

Happy birthday, Nate.

cinnibonbon said...

HaPpY hAPpy BiRtHdAy!!! I love that little suit you found and those calendar just recalls some great highlights for his young little life. too neat.

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday, Nate. Christopher still has his obsession with all things star wars, and he is working on 12. The Lego's star wars playstation 2 game is a riot, too!

Amrita said...

Happy birthday Nate