Monday, February 18, 2008

Instant Tween?

First of all, I'd like to say that I don't have much of a concept of what "tweens" are. They hadn't been invented when I was a kid. In fact, I think the whole age-group was contrived by Disney Corp. as a marketing ploy, so they could have someone to whom they could sell Hannah Montana. When I was a kid, this was a stage called "the point at which girls start snooping in their older sisters' stuff and swiping their lip gloss".

So, Sara had her birthday over the weekend (BTW, Happy Birthday, Sara!). Here she is with her nine candles, (starting to look like a real conflagration on the cake). I paid no attention at the time, but she is wearing a purple disco-dress from the dress-up box.


I was a little distracted by the volume of girls, spaghetti sauce, wrapping paper, lemonade, shrieking and 19-cent kazoos.


Saegrape, if you visit today, this is a conscious effort to immitate your style. Seagrape is a great photographer, and can make real art out of a random grouping of everyday objects. I want to learn to do this; as you can see by my attempt...I still have a looooong apprenticeship ahead of me.

The party was pretty successful. I have vivid (painful) memories of being a girl this age, and my biggest worry was that I would have to deal with a girl-bullshit squabble at 10 PM and drive some sobbing, traumatized girl home because some other girl told her that her teeth were ugly, or that she was getting boobies.

There is one girl that I always watch, 'cause she instigates this stuff sometimes. She has been Sara's friend since they were three, so I know how she operates, and I can usually head her off at the pass. She stirred the pot a bit at supper, by stating loudly that she was going to Primary Children's Medical Center next week to have some [dramatic pause] blood tests. A little girl asks, "What for?" "Oh, I can't really talk about it." I roll my eyes while I get more garlic bread out of the oven. Then, she leans over and starts whispering into Sara's ear. The table goes silent. Another girl asks, "What are you whispering secrets about?" L. says, "It's about my tests, but it's really personal and private." Sara catches my eye and leans away from L. as if I had yanked on her ear. The conversation grinds to a halt. "Gosh, L., " I said, setting a basket of bread on the table, "even grown-ups think health-care is a pretty boring topic for a dinner party." Everyone laughed and the talk moved back to silly kid-stuff. That was the only time that I had to intervene.

Part of the reason that the girls got on so well was that Nathan was there, along with his little friend, B. I had invited B. to keep Nathan company, but it was also helpful because it gave the girls a united front against a common enemy: disgusting boys. Nate and B. relished this role, as you can see, and made the most of it, tearing around shirtless and masked, marauding horrors straight from the pages of Lord of the Flies.

The party is over (all except for the microwave, which will smell scorched for months 'cause I burned popcorn in it). But now, I have a nine-year-old. I have to say that this really is a little different. For one thing, she got clothes that I'm jealous of. Not much longer 'til I can wear her stuff, which is (thanks to her indulgent Nana in England) waaaay better than mine.



That skirt really belongs with me, Sara!

Get over it, Mom.

Sudden changes have come about primarily because Simon and I bought her a desk for her birthday. The dress-up box has been exiled to the basement, and she now has a desk, lamp and swivel-chair. She loves it, and has it all set up for art projects, reading, etc... She always used to do these things out at the kitchen table. [Sigh!] Almost the moment the little girls left the morning after her party, she went into her room and closed the door. Shortly after, I found a proliferation of door-signage, stating the new rules of engagement.

Wha-?!? Hmph! I am the mother, after all. I will not knock, await permission to state the secret password, then apply in triplicate for the privilege of entering my child's room. Right!?! Right, Si? "Weeeeell, we need to remember that she is growing up."

Later, after filling out the requisite paperwork and getting my passport stamped, I went in there with a basket of clean clothes and discovered the thing that she loves most about the desk, and that I hate. It is the supreme crap-collector, already the biggest trash magnet in her chaotic room. I just stood still and looked around, totally overwhelmed. I have to admit that I'm a neat-freak. I looked at all the junk piled up on the desk, around it, under it...Radio Disney blaring "How do you knoooooow..... he loves you?/ How do you knoooooooow... he cares?" and I thought, "I sense conflict coming on..."

I called the Summit Conference on Tween Rights and Responsibilities, so we could figure out ground rules.

Resolution One: On Privacy

"Well, I think I should be able to be alone in my room."
"I agree. That's totally reasonable."
"I want to be able to close the door, and when the door is closed, everyone has to knock."
"OK, I can work with that."
"And, if I don't want you to come in, I can tell you to go away, and you have to."
[buzzer sound] "Whoops! Nope. That doesn't work for your dad and me. We'll knock, but we reserve the right to come in if we need to talk to you." Etc...

After negotiating that, we moved on to Resolution Two: On Room Tidiness.

I was told that I no longer get to stand in the middle of the room like Snow White at the Seven Dwarfs' house, snapping my fingers and pointing while warbling things like, "Pick up those slippers!" and "Why is there a pile of dandelions under your dresser?" The new rules are that she's in charge of her space, but she has to:
  • make her bed;
  • put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket;
  • keep stuff off the floor.

Negotiations continue about my right to "muck out", as I call it. Y'know, when the underwear drawer has become a worm habitat and the underwear is sent to share a box under the bed with the rock collection? We're still working that out. Very delicate business.

Is there anyone out there who has experience with 8/9/10 year-old girls? How are you dealing with privacy? Mess tolerance? Radio Disney?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately we only have baby bean and she is still the same age as Nate...six... i will be watching your blog closely for lessons!

The World According To Me said...

Very entertaining post!

Happy Birthday Sara.

I too love her cardi, skirt and boots outfit. It's very me! In fact, I am wearing something quite similar now...

Your 'random grouping of everyday objects' is very colourful and eye catching. I like it a lot!

Unknown said...

Thank you Kate...what a boost to my day!!!

Happy birthday Sara.
Love the skirt, the boots and the purple disco dress too!

Trysha said...

Happy Birthday to Sara!

I am of no help since the sticker chart still works around here. Well that and the wrath of God. He does watch you when you clean your room and eat your veggies. Luckily that stuff still works around here.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

No experience on my part. But I'm so thankful to be able to learn from yours. :) She does look so pretty in her new clothes.

dive said...

Wonderful photos, Kate.
And Happy Birthday Sara!

As for 8/9/10 year old girls? You're going to lose. Every time.
She looks great in your clothes.
Get used to it. Hee hee.

suesun said...

Great story!

I secretly wish for a 'tween girl sometimes...shhhhhh .....don't tell the boys! Enjoy it!!!!!!

My oldest son will be 9 next month.

and FYI - I answered your last question on my blog.

Maria said...

Liv is eight and so far she isn't too interested in privacy. Hers or mine....

Katherine said...

Kate, first let me commend you on having yet another big birthday party. Momming two girls, 9 and 11 as of next week, I'm tuckered out from big parties. To think, we have had at least 20 of these total....enough is enough.

Now, I thought a "tween" had to be between the ages of 10 or 11 and 13. Does this make my 9 year old a tween? Are you trying to shock me here?

My eldest has been the proud recipient of most adjustable skirts and tops I can't fit into any more. I can't tell you the kind of clothing this girl now ownes! She can wear it in the same style your lovely lady does, and because she is broad shouldered and already wide-hipped, she carries it off well.

Privacy and cleanliness? At least once a week I case their bedrooms and demand a cleanup. Every coupld of months, we have to sort through clothes that are now too small, toys that need to get out of the closets, and donations that must be made.

I knock before I enter, and so does my husband. But they aren't into the privacy thing so much right now. They still like us to tuck them in and they don't mind if we meddle in their morning routines (which is good because they still require meddling). Your girl sounds much "older" than mine, and I understand why that probably is.

Yes...nothing worse than girl bickering and mystery. My kids STILL don't "get it" in some ways, and it's hard for a parent to explain.

Happy Birthday to your Dear Sara and the Hilarious Nate that made it all the more fun!

~ L said...

"girl-bullshit squabble"

LOL!! Dead-on, Kate!

This? This is soooo familar to me. (Mine just turned 13 and 10, both girls.)

My girls are totally funny about privacy. One minute they are all about being ALONE and it's, "Get AWAY from me, get OUT of MY room!"

The next minute they're giggling while playing a PlayStation game together.

Gypsy Jane said...

Privacy wasn't ever much of an issue with my girls (now 29 & 39) but mess tolerance was. My rule was mess is ok, dirt is not. Nothing that will grow or attract bugs. Funny thing is they shared a room, and being 10 years apart it did not work at all when they blamed the mess on one another - not that that ever stopped them :)
When my older one was 10 she went through being very trying. I always vocally associated it with being a 10-year-old. Her 11th birthday all the negative energy manifested: burnt pizza, floppy cake - and all the "10-year-old behavior" went away.
The wonderful thing about middle-school age girls: this too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

i thought the tween thing aged out a bit older than nine, but one thing i do know is your kid goes through whatever they're going to go through whenever they're ready to...regardless of whether or not you are ready. my daughter is now 15, and i don't really remember when the privacy issue arose, but we didn't make a big deal about it. we also reserved the right to enter after knocking if we needed to talk to her, but i don't ever remember her turning anyone away. we didn't think it was very nice of her to tell her brother (who is two years younger) to bug off, so if he had something important to discuss with her, he was to be admitted. we continue to ignore the signs on her door, which have gone from cute pix of penguins to polical bumper stickers and fly spaghetti monster posters. we do not allow anything that may offend a guest visiting our home, since her room is on the first floor.
so far as keeping her room clean is concerned, she has to make her bed, but the rest is up to her. teach your kids to do their own laundry as soon as you can. it then becaomes their problem. if dirty clothes don't make it into their hamper, they are the ones who have to wear dirty socks (or worse). i don't insist the room be kept neat, but it must be clean, which sort of forces her to pick stuff up off the floor so she can vacuum, and clear the surfaces so she can dust. at her age (it's actually been this way for a while) i don't hold myself responsible for finding any school paper i need to sign that's been lost in the chaos, no oversue library book (the fine is on her card, and payable by her) or any other thing like her i-pod, etc. my 13 year old son abides by the same rules. i would say we've been at this since they were about 11. they also have their own alarm clocks. the result has been that we enjoy the company of two very responsible and respectful teenagers (one home schooled, one in public high school) and very rarely have any drama in our house. yet. dana (from tcfil site)

Katherine said...

Mess drives me CRAZY, mostly because they lose things. And my eldest tends to get a little too creative in her bedroom...things like deciding she is going to try "chalk carving" because she's a little too young for whittling...she used a flat piece of plastic or a barrette on sidewalk chalk....she has dark wood in her bedroom...I'll let you imagine the rest.