Thursday, February 21, 2008

Whale Caller

Anybody out there remember the scene from "The Big Lebowski" when he's sitting in his tub, surrounded by candles, listening to his "Song of the Whales" album?

A belated birthday present arrived for Nate yesterday, from my parents. One of the gifts was this whale caller that my dad made.

Here I am, demonstrating and photographing myself at the same time. As you can see, it's pretty simple. Paper towel tube with a rubber glove taped tightly to it. Then Dad snipped a little hole in one finger of the glove and put a straw in there, again with some pretty intense tape-action. If you pull the glove tight across the top of the tube and blow, you get a surprisingly loud, whale-like sound. It's prevented from just sounding fart-like by the long, resonant tube.

Nate is convinced that, if he takes it to Oregon next summer, the whales will flock to him.

8 comments:

dive said...

COOL!!!!!
I can't wait to get home and make one for myself.
Look out, neighbourhood, you're going to hear some startling noises tonight!

Unknown said...

um, thanks for the visual. i love the seriousness (and silliness) of it all and it certainly makes the tutorial easier to follow. lol

Anonymous said...

Yeah, ....that picture says it all...we've lost Kate, guys!! :)))


(Actually, that's pretty cool...I'll have to try that one out here at the lab with my co-workers)


Anonymously, John

Rebecca said...

LOL. You know, my son would have MADE it sound like a fart...Would have been all over the neighborhood with it. Startling noises, indeed.

Katherine said...

LOL! YES!!!! I don't remember the movie, but I think we shall HAVE to make a whale caller here. My kids are older but I am quite sure they will believe in its abilities!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the demo Kate!

Maria said...

I think you should make a video and post it.

life is too complicated to discuss said...

how have you been Kate, I am sorry I have been out of touch with the blogging world in general.