Thursday, June 19, 2008

Eugenio

My student Eugenio graduated tonight. Because we have a long waiting-list, we limit students to five years in the program. Not like very many of them are able to stay that long, but some do. Eugenio's five years are up. I have been dreading this.

Five things I love most about Eugenio:
  • In the winter, he wears a fake, Daniel Boone-style raccoon-tail hat. With a straight face.
  • In Mexico, he was an avid hiker and climber. Any time an outing to the mountains is on offer, Eugenio's first in line.
  • Whenever he understood a new concept for the first time, he would have a big light-bulb moment: he'd light up, stab the air with his pencil and say, "Exacto!"
  • He didn't have a car, and lived pretty far from school, but he would move mountains to get here. I have known him to cycle, walk (we're talking MILES!), take the train, carpool, use the bus... during the five years he studied here, he has arrived using every mode of transportation except maybe horseback.
  • He was an excellent student, in spite of all the barriers he had to overcome. He has no comfortable place to study: he lives in a corner of the garage where he works, doing body-work on cars. He started studying English at age 59; with a minimal education in his own country, a fear of teachers (he was caned a lot in school during the few years he was able to go), and no prior knowledge of English. Learning was never easy for him, but he clawed his way from Level 0 to Level 4 through discipline and hard work.

Today, he had prepared a short speech for graduation, which he memorized and practiced pronouncing over and over until it was perfect. I wasn't allowed to see it or hear it in advance, so it would be a surprise. It wasn't just understandable, it was elegant and articulate.

So now, he is off to another school: bigger classes and a more demanding schedule. I am (frankly) miserable. I've been a teacher for 19 years, and I thought I was finished having favorites. Not true. Eugenio was my muse. Whenever I thought about a new unit or a different teaching approach, I always thought, "What will this do for Eugenio?" Whenever the media requested a success story, his was the story I loved to tell. Obviously, since here I am, telling it again.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

aaawwww.....don't you hate losing your best students? they are a rarity... good luck Eugenio in continuing your studies!

super hero said...

he seems like a real martin eden. i hope he succeeds well, but of course, not end up like him.

The World According To Me said...

Eugenio sounds a remarkable person. His determination and conscientiousness are inspiring to read about. No wonder you've dedicated a post to him.

Exacto! I like that.

Trysha said...

Congrats Eugenio!! How special you are to have someone like him come into your life and inspire you. Bravo to you and to Eugenio.

suesun said...

I have known many a Eugenio as well.....
We had our graduation in May, and it's always a tearjerker. We honor both our ELD grads and our GED grads. I wish everyone could come and witness it just once.... it could change many a mind about immigrants in this country. People like Eugenio remind us all to not feel sorry for ourselves. Congrats to him, and to you, and to your entire adult ed. program.

Amrita said...

Exacto Miss Kate, Eugino sounds like a great guy

Maria said...

How wonderful, though, that he has made such spectacular progress.

It reminds me of the guy who re-shingled a big part of our roof last week. We were having a hell of a time just getting anyone out to do the job, since it wasn't a really big one. A friend recommended Vit. He came out, looked at it, said that he would do the job for a hundred bucks, paid in cash and then politely shook our hands. He was back to work that afternoon and rang the doorbell. He did not feel that the shingles he had purchased matched our roof as well as they could and would just walk to the hardware store to exchange them, okay? I offered to drive him. He said no. He returned a few hours later with the other shingles and then finished the roof in record time. Since he asked for cash, we knew he was an illegal. But...good god, he was so hard working and such a polite, sweet man. We tried to tip him and he refused. "I said 100 dollars and a deal is a deal," he told us. The two other estimates we had received had given us a 400$ price.

I took his number and promised that if we ever needed anything else done, he was our man....

His work ethic was just phenomenal.

cinnibonbon said...

So very touching...hooray for him and to you for adding to his success!!!!

Katherine said...

Eugenio, congratulations!! You have the kind of drive and fortitude that should make us all jealous!

Kate, thank you for writing about Eugenio. I'm sorry he is leaving you, but you must be so proud of him. I know I would be.

~ L said...

I just loved this post!

I'm teary now.

Alice Kildaire said...

Exacto! It is so clear that you truly love helping people. I'm sure God will place another "favorite" in your path to serve as motivation and inspiration.