Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Foul Fashion Faux Pas

I was all set to blog about something completely different, but my MSN home-page had a story about things we're not supposed to wear anymore once we get to be 40-ish. I was fascinated. Time for true confessions: how many of us in the 40-and-up range are committing fatal "Fashion Don'ts"?

The rules, as stated:

NO
  1. hot pants (Oh, well. I'll live.)
  2. tie dye
  3. ripped jeans (What? I love ripped jeans! Can allowances be made if they rip after we've bought them? Deduct one point for ripped jeans.)
  4. off the shoulder (Think Flashdance.)
  5. bright-colored leggings
  6. chunky platform shoes
  7. ruffles
  8. bare midriff (Geeze! Well, I don't bare my belly at the office, but at parties?...sometimes?...to show off my piercing...? [sigh] Deduct one point for midriff.)
  9. sheer over sheer
  10. gladiator shoes (No one looks good in those things.)
  11. too much tan (no danger there)
  12. glittery makeup
  13. dark red lipstick

OK, so I'm guilty of flouting the rules 2 times out of 13. How about you? Tell the truth- any neon leggings in your closet?

12 comments:

dive said...

Damn! I'm about to hit fifty and I still love wearing ripped old 501s on stage.

I searched the wardrobe for neon leggings and gladiator shoes (what the heck are gladiator shoes?) and to my horror I found a tie-died teeshirt from the last ice age, so I guess I'm a two-times rule breaker, too, Kate.

Anonymous said...

ripped jeans, too much tan and some glittery make up. There... i confessed.... LOL

Erin said...

Does it mean something if you're under 40 and don't wear any of those?

joannmski said...

Oh, no. I do love me a dark red lipstick.

Trysha said...

So if I'm under 40 and am only guilty of one of those...

I'm guilty of only one...the ripped jeans. But in my defense I have a really big arse and the pockets always get caught on the door frame of the car when I'm getting in. So I don't actually buy them ripped.

Maria said...

I don't do the neon leggings anymore, or leggings of any kind...but I admit to sort of enjoying baring my midriff in the summer and I love red lipsick...

And I am 50. I'm sure that there are even stricter rules for us um..matrons.

Katherine said...

What's wrong with tie-dye????

The person who wrote this must be a real drag.

The World According To Me said...

So you have your naval pierced? I used to have a jewel in mine but it came out and it hurt too much to get back in.

Well, 40 is my next mile stone, so shall I stay clear of the list? By the way, I still wear black leggings, but underneath dresses when my legs feel pale and fat. But that's not the same as bright leggings?

Kate said...

@Dive: Gladiator sandals are those ones with the straps that extend all the way up to your knee. I'll bet you would look HOT in those. ;)

@Erin: It means that, it you have THOUGHT about wearing any of these things, you'd better get busy and wear them - time is runnung out!

@ World Accoring: Black leggings - GOOD. Neon leggings: BAD.

Lillian said...

Oh. My. GOSH.
Forget doing the splits. I think my new goal is to have a body good enough to look good in hot pants. And then to wear them. When I turn 40.

cinnibonbon said...

LOL...Guilty of the last one..hot red lips are my trademark...but yes, even I have to admit, I don't do it as often as I used too.

I blame it on wearing braces as an adult ( red lips stick and dental hardwear don't mix) more than on my thinning 40 year old lips...LOL... Just see avatar photo...LOL

suesun said...

What about mini skirts? I'm 41 and spend my whole summer in them. Glad to see they were NOT on the list!

And I'm wondering if too much tan means having too much of a suntan, or wearing too much tan colored clothing.......?