Monday, June 9, 2008

Ladybugs

[First, an update: In-Law Watch, Day 3]
So far, so good. At least, I think so. You never know what’s going to set them off. I was unable to say, “good-bye” to them this morning when I left for work: FIL was in the shower and MIL was in her room with the door closed (getting dressed, probably). I piddled around for a little while, in case either of them emerged; but I ran out of time. I can guarantee that although they may say nothing today or tomorrow, this will be added to my rap-sheet.

Luckily, I have my blog where I can secretly say:

“FIL! If you sit down to breakfast and there is a large bowl of fruit on the table, it is not necessary to stare at the bowl for a minute, then ask, ‘Would it possibly be all right if I have a banana?’ Just take one, Honey.”

“MIL! Thank you so much for bringing Sara the t-shirt with the ponies on it. She loves it. She has worn it two days in a row. And so if, at any point, you would like to stop telling us over and over about the shop where you saw it, your decision to purchase it, and your certainty that Sara would like it, I’d be OK. Five times is enough.”

*****

There are aphids on my roses. To be honest, I find roses beautiful but more trouble than they are worth. It seems to me that the best roses are in the yards of abandoned homes. As I drive through depressed parts of town and look at the boarded-up houses, the roses are going NUTS! And I think, “Why can’t my roses look like that?!” Probably the previous owners of the house put in some fussy variety.

At any rate, we try to stay away from chemicals if we can help it. Sara suggested that I get a bag of ladybugs at Home Depot. I readily agreed, in spite of hearing my MIL tell (8 times, now) the story of how she was bitten 5 times by a ladybug on the finger and had to have her wedding ring cut off. I am enthralled by those bags of ladybugs. They’re so…swarmy. I bought them and as I drove along, they got very excited. Maybe from the warmth of the car – maybe because they knew that freedom was in the offing. I carried them over to the rose bushes. They were frenzied. I snipped the corner off the bag. They rushed out and proceeded to totally ignore the aphids. I watched one walk right over a clump of them, like he didn’t know what they were. OI! EAT THE APHIDS! I picked up ladybugs and aphids on the tips of opposing fingers and introduced them. Mr. Aphid, meet Mr. Ladybug. Mr. Ladybug, meet Mr. Aphid. OK, now, kill. The kids had come running to watch the bloodbath, but soon wandered away, bored. This morning, I spent some more time out there while I waited to spot my in-laws and say, “Good-bye” to them. I found three ladybugs remaining on the rose bushes, and the same 4,000,000 aphids that had been here yesterday.

9 comments:

Lillian said...

I think they were just very much not hungry. I once fed an entire rosebush covered in aphids to ONE very fat ladybug. I think it exploded later.
You got lemon ladybugs! Round them all up and take them back!

Amrita said...

Very funny Kate all about the ILs and bloodbath. Enjoyed resding this

dive said...

Lillian's right.
Like you, I'm an organic gardener and my ladybugs keep the aphids in check beautifully.
Perhaps they were scared off by your in-laws.
Hey! Perhaps you should feed the aphids to your MIL!

super hero said...

i didnt know ladybugs can bite people. they are the only bugs i can touch. in fact i never considered them as real bugs. they are just some very cute little animals.

Rebecca said...

Hilarious, Kate! I think Home Depot must have fed the lady bugs too well for them to be interested in fending for themselves.

So, on the in-law front, you have my sympathies--I can completely relate. My MIL just sent my son a birthday card with a Barnes and Noble gift card--his birthday is next week. Nice, right? Right. She also sent my husband a belated birthday card with a Barnes and Noble gift card--his birthday was 29 April, and she did send him a card on time, sans gift card. So, fine. Me? I got bupkus. My birthday is the same day as my son's, so no forgetting it, really. It is family lore how we share the day. Sigh.

cinnibonbon said...

LOL. I had no clue one could actually purchase ladybugs. I hate them, mainly becuase I always find them in the tub. Maybe my lady bugs might like your garden, I think death by over-dosing on aphids is better then drowning at my place.
Sorry to hear about the In laws.

Anonymous said...

ha ha about the in-laws... oh well.. they DO live pretty far away and i guess it IS only once a year.... cool... try LIVING with them... bwa ha haaa....

Maria said...

That is truly odd. I have ladybugs galore and my rose bushes are so beautiful that I have had complete strangers come up and ask me if they could take a photo of them.

Maybe you just bought some snotty lady bugs...

Rebecca said...

OMG! Snotty lady bugs!!! LOL!!!