Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

My mom has decided to come out from Wisconsin and spend a week taking care of us after my surgery. Part of me is relieved; part of me is anxious. Will the downstairs bedroom be warm enough for her? Won't she be bored hanging around while I snooze in a Lortab coma? Will I be able stock up on enough Diet Pepsi and that disgusting diet sliced cheese that she likes?

I will be working right up to surgery day, so I do worry that she will come too early and then be at loose ends. We were trying to decide on a date.

"Well, I could come out on the Sunday before..."
"Sunday? I think that's too early."
"Well, I need a day or two to get used to the kids' schedules, practice driving your car.."
"Yeah, but my surgery isn't until Thursday."
"No, I have it down as...oh! [Snorting] Never mind. That's the Methodist Church Soup and Salad Dinner."

She is able to come because Dad is not dying. There are signs that his prostate cancer, in remission for about five years, may be back; but it isn't showing up in his bones, where it often metastasizes. Of course, this doesn't rule out the possibility that it is thriving in some other part of his body. He told me (without a hint of irony) that Mom is concerned that it may have spread to his brain. Not having been present to hear Mom's tone of voice when she said it, I can't say for sure whether this is truly a concern. He has also had gout, but he called me today to tell me that Mom feels like he could probably be left alone for a few days.

"How's your gout?"
"Better. My doctor is going away for a few weeks. Back to India, the land of his birth. While he's gone, I think I might try eating some ...richer foods."
"That doesn't sound like a good idea. What does Mom say?"
"That she might indulge me with a little bit of lean chicken breast."

[He will drop her at the airport in Milwaukee, drive home and immediately make himself a hot fudge sundae. I know it.]

7 comments:

Amrita said...

Don 't worry Kate. Your Mom will take care of herself. That 's what Moms are for.

Weber said...

Moms always seem to come through. Does she like Turkey Chili? Red or White wine?

Trysha said...

Your mom will figure it all out, Kate. You need to put yourself first right now.
The best part of Grandma watching the kids while you're in the hospital: the report from the kids! Hilarious! They will fill you in on all the backwards things grandmas do. Much love.

Lulubelle B said...

You'd me amazed how moms can cope. When I had my hysto my mom took 5 weeks leave from her job, traveled 1500 miles from NY to Dallas, slept on my sofa-bed and walked my then brand new dog 4 times a day. Let her baby you when you really need it.

cinnibonbon said...

Hi there.
I've been out of the blogging world for some time. I've lost track of what was happening in people's lives. I didn't know you were facing this. But I know your strong spirit will help you through this all. You just hang in there, and don't worry about your momma, she'll manage and will be able to help you recover.

Hang in there girl- everything will be ok!!!

Thinking of you
Luz

Katherine said...

Glad your dad is doing okay so your mom can concentrate on you for awhile, Kate.

Tell her just to bring the leftover chicken breast. Doesn't sound like your dad is going to eat it all.

The World According To Me said...

Sounds like you know your dad only too well!
And I'm glad to hear your mum will be around to help out. Hope you figure a date out?
I hope you're okay.