Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hanging On

Dad's in ICU, now. Had some sort of cardiac incident; finally stabilized late this afternoon. He has a Do Not Resuscitate order. Actually, Mom gave the order. I asked her on the phone tonight if he had an advance directive.

"No. he never got around to signing his advance directive."
"Well, the only advance directive he ever gave me was that, if he keeled over in the wilderness somewhere, I should just cover him with rocks."

He lives to see another day, I guess.

I'm a little calmer about the fact that I may not be there if he dies. I've decided to stop worrying about it. My aunt pointed out that the loving family surrounding the dying patriarch was a fiction; and a loving family can also surround a dying patriarch who is comatose and doesn't know they are there.

We had a great visit in August, and I had a fun conversation with him on the phone the day before his stroke. I can let this go.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Kate, I feel for you so much. This is a hard place for you to be in. Be as strong as you can.

Lulubelle B said...

I'm sorry. This must be so difficult for you.

Kate said...

Well,it was really hard when I wasn't sure what to do: go or stay. Once I decided that I wasn't going to jump onto a plane, I felt better.