Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Little Road Trip

So, I have a plan now. I will fly to Wisconsin one-way and help my mom. I'll spend 5-6 days working on packing up the house, put some pieces of furniture that I want into a 10-foot U-Haul, then drive back to Utah. Anybody want to ride along? I called the house last night and my sister picked up. She was there with my older brother, sorting stuff out. Mom is at the hospital in Madison with Dad.

They are leaving the "archives" for me to deal with, piling it all up in the dining room. This would be interesting things like my grandpa's journals, my grandmother's dolls. Also less interesting things like a hundred years worth of correspondence and my dad's high school yearbooks.

My aunt said to me the other day that she is in search of a particular letter from my great-aunt to my grandmother that as written in the 30's. Good lord, am I going to have to look through all the letters to find the one she wants? My grandmother was a pack rat, and my father is no better. I excel at hucking and chucking.

Charles, my brother, was visiting Dad the other day at the hospital. He said that, as he was leaving, Dad mustered all of his wherewithal, every last drop of energy, to utter the only complete sentence he had managed all day. He pointed an admonishing finger at Charles and gasped, "Don't. Throw. Anything. Out!"

1 comment:

cinnibonbon said...

Dearest friend.
I'm sorry you are in this position. I had no idea that you were facing such challenges. I don't come to blogs everyday, so I miss lot of things I think.
I don't know of anything I can say or do that would help you in anyway. But I'm here, if you need me to be. If you need things, let me know--you're in my thoughts.

PS...love the sex post!! That is so you.