Saturday, August 18, 2007

Date with Sara

Sara and I went to Beans & Brews on Friday. We do this once a month. I have a friend with a teenage daughter and she sets aside private time with her daughter so they can talk if her daughter wants to talk. "Start early", she said. At least for now, we don't talk about anything important. I always get an iced chai latte, and she always gets an Italian soda - different flavor every time, though. This was "cookie dough" Italian soda. I like to pick up the free copy of City Weekly, so I can read "Ask A Mexican". This is a weekly column that answers people's burning questions about Latino culture. I think the guy who does it is enlightening to read, but also tongue in cheek. I learn a lot of Spanish slang and obscenity this way. City Weekly is SLC's "alternative" newspaper. Lots of ads featuring women in g-strings, smoking hookas. There are actually hooka cubs. Who knew?

2 comments:

Maria said...

What a GREAT idea. I think I will start that with Liv. We sometimes go to a local ice cream store called Ted and Wally's, but there isn't a set day or anything. I like the idea of just setting aside structured "us" time.

And, hey...I just had to ask. What do you think of Deathly Hallows so far? Are you done? I am dying for someone to dish with about it.

Dayngr said...

Start reading the Miami blogs and you'll learn lots about hispanic culture.