Thursday, August 16, 2007

Harry Wh*re

I predict an unfocused posting today. Cause: sleep deprivation. Don't tell Simon - he can't believe how little I seem to need.

First of all, WHY do little kids like to eat such gross stuff? They asked so politely at the store yesterday, so I let them pick something from the bakery to eat after supper. They both picked cookies with neon supermarket frosting. I had a nibble - they taste like s***. (BTW, I'm relatively new to the Blogoverse; do we get sanctioned in any way if we swear? I get tired of all these prissy asterisks.) Back to the kids. Look at them: blue teeth, tongues, lips... chins... Nate wanted to wallow in that cookie so badly that he ate all his salmon (which he claims to hate). Either that or he hid it really well. Simon and I looked for it when we were cleaning up from supper, and couldn't find it. I asked him if he stuffed it down his pants - he just laughed. Suddenly suspicious, I checked; it wasn't there.

I'm experiencing that fragile, suspended sensation that comes with complete exhaustion. I can't put Harry Potter down. I was up reading 'til 2:00 AM. I even pretended to go to bed at 12:30, because Si gives me s***t (I mean s***) for not sleeping enough. But once his breathing evened out, I crept out to the sun porch and curled up with HP for a while longer. If I do that again tonight, I might finish it. Then I'll be sad because it's been over. I'm not good at pacing myself with engrossing books. Slurp, and they're gone.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Isn't the book just amazing? How far are you? There was one part where I felt she was just adding twists and turns for the hell (sorry h - e - double hockey sticks) of it. Overall I loved it! I hope that your inability to put it down means you do as well!

Katherine said...

You know, that cookie frosting takes on a whole new taste when you're PMS'ing. Try it at different times of the month and log your reactions. That would be a fun science project, no?

I've been on some blogs where you have to wade through the swear words. I don't think Blogger cares. Besides, who the hell knows what's a swear anyway? And besides that, it's your blog. If you want to swear, then swear. I try not to do it too much on mine because my content is a little different, but if people don't want to read swears, then they can always turn to a different blog, can't they? Cuss away, if that's what you want to do, Kate! Especially after being sleep deprived....you deserve it!

Amrita said...

The kids in my family also do the same, all that junk/sweet stuff

Alice Kildaire said...

I think kids are like potheads — it doesn't really matter how damn nasty it is, if you've got the munchies (or you're not supposed to have it, or it turns your flesh into some garish hue) it probably tastes like Heaven!

Kate said...

@erin: Rowling's genius amazes me. I see now that everything that seemed peripheral in th earlier books had a purpose. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to read more than 2 chapters last night. But tonight is FRIDAY. Bloat and sloth night. After the kids are in bed, I will have hours of unimpeded reading time.

Kate said...

@Katherine: I guess I just eat the stuff at the wrong time of the month! I definitely see potential for a research grant.

Dammit. :)

Maria said...

I have a terrible, terrible confession to make: I LOVE those neon cookies. The sugar frosting is enough to make your teeth melt instantly into cavities, but I love them anyway.

And...I did the same thing with Harry Potter. I read the WHOLE THING on my flight home from San Francisco last month. I sped read with my mouth hanging open.

Liv and I just finished The Half Blood Prince and are just beginning the Deathly Hallows, so I am now reading it properly. We are the the part where Fleur's parents have just arrived for her wedding to Bill Weasley. Since Liv knows that I have already read the book, she keeps begging me to tell her who dies. But, my lips are sealed....

Unknown said...

neon frosting = neon poopy.

Anonymous said...

sorry to say...havent gotten into the HP series yet... god i must be the only one! neon cookies... way to interesting...dont' have those here either..waah and swearing...no problemo! hi...i's back...just poppin in!