Friday, August 10, 2007

Goddess

I'm a goddess, did you know? Look out. I can shoot lightning from my eyeballs.

I didn't go to my regular job today. I took a vacation day so I could do some (more lucrative)contract work for the State Office of Education. They contract with me a few times every year to train teachers from all over the state how to give a particular kind of English as a Second Language test. The training is seven hours long, so I'm knackered. I have to be evaluated by the participants after each training and send the evaluation forms to the Center for Applied Linguistics in DC. One of the people evaluating me today said I was "goddess-like" . OK, so that isn't quite the same: not a goddess, just goddess-like.

There is nothing more to tell about this day. I was at this training all day, and by the time I got home, the kids had taken off to spend the evening with friends at the zoo. They've just arrived home and have been tucked into bed with a chapter of Harry Potter. I'm so tired, though; I was messing up the voices and making Hermione's lines come out of Ron's mouth, etc...

For lack of material, I will do "high point / low point". Play along if you like and contribute your high and low points for the day.

Low Point: Crying when I heard on the radio this evening that rescue/recovery attempts of the miners in the Crandall Canyon Mine cave-in have still yielded no results.

High Point: Lying flat on my back on the lawn for a few minutes, gazing up at the sky through the leaves of my tomato plants.

Pretty unremarkable. Surely a goddess could conjure a little more excitement than that...

12 comments:

Amrita said...

good day it was, high and low points included

Lulubelle B said...

High Point - getting invited to my brother's house tomorrow to see the family

Low Point - blowing off mom this afternoon because I was feeling headachy

Anonymous said...

Hight point:
sucessfully riding 35-miles today in 95-degree Wisconsin humidity on my Bacchetta Agio recumbent & still keeping my blood glucose levels stable (I'm an insulin-dependant diabetic).

Low point:
riding 35-miles today in 95-degree Wisconsin humidity on my Bacchetta Agio recumbent & getting the lilly-white portions of my "farmer's tan" nicely filled-in with a deeply red & painfull sunburn.

John

Maria said...

I receive teacher evaluations every year from the college that I teach at and not once have I been compared to a goddess. Not once!

I have been called a Vulcan, though....

Anonymous said...

hey goddess! glad to hear you made it thru ok...! hope it went well.
yeah never been called THAT... high low points..? well all high now that im on vacation!

Kate said...

Maria, when I taught at Univ. of Utah, I had a student call me a "dusty old virgin" on an eval.

Alice Kildaire said...

hahaha...well I'd say "Goddess" was definitely a step up from "dusty old virgin"!

Katherine said...

"They contract with me a few times every year to train teachers from all over the state how to give a particular kind of English as a Second Language test." This was an amazing and remarkable day, Kate! Giving training is cool and fun, don't you think? Especially when it's something you are comfortable with? I'm going to attend a training like this in September. Looking forward to it.

Katherine said...

And obvioulsy, you ARE a Goddess.

Kate said...

Katherine, I train people to give the BEST. Is that the training you're going to attend, or a training of a different sort?

Katherine said...

I am trying to sign up for BEST training. I have REEP training coming up in September for sure.http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/instruct/ctae/adult_ed/REEP/reepcurriculum/index.html

Rebecca said...

Pretty unremarkable. Surely a goddess could conjure a little more excitement than that...

I think not. A Goddess would grieve the potential loss of life while still acknowledging the pleasure of life that does exist around her.

The smell of a tomato leaf in the evening air is wonderful. My prayers are with those in the mine.