Monday, June 18, 2007

The Bar D Chuckwagon

http://www.bardchuckwagon.com/

I did a lot of hokey things while on vacation in Colorado, because kid-friendly stuff can be that way,

The Bar D Chuckwagon was embarrassing in several ways.

The musicians were actually really good, if you like old-time Western music. I can hum along with "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds". They were funny, too. Eight-year-old Sara is still talking about her favorite song of the evening, sung to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". This had lyrics like "Uh-weem-a-way, uh-weem-a-way/ The possum fries tonight."

My feathers got a little ruffled at the very end, because of course they had to end with a Patriotic Medley - something they have been doing since 9/11, they said. This was interesting. So, they started with "America the Beautiful", which I can sing with gusto. I like that one. Then it was "God Bless America". So, this guy in front of me rises to his feet, and after a moment's hesitation, so does his wife. Then he turns around to those of us behind him and indignantly tries to wave us to our feet. Since when is "God Bless America" the national anthem? I stand for the "Star Spangled Banner". (Well, it's actually the flag we standing up for, not the song.) (And because you can't hit the high note sitting down, anyway.) They didn't sing the "Star Spangled Banner", though. The final tune in the medley was that "God Bless the USA" pop/country song. Who sings that? I want to say John Michael Montgomery. Ooooh. I absolutely hate it. It is so sappy that it makes my scalp prickle with embarrassment. Do you know the one? "Oh, I'm proud to be an American/Where at least I know I'm free..." And then, when it got to the part where they sang, "And I'll gladly STAND UP next to you...", everybody popped to their feet. I thought, "What is this? An action song, like 'Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes'?" I'm not standing up because John Michael Montgomery told me to.

7 comments:

Diane said...

Oh, gag me, I hate that song too. It's Lee Greenwood. Were you thinking Micheal Martin Murphey? He sang about the horsey named "Wildfire". I used to like him but when I saw him at Deer Valley years ago I got my fill of him in one evening. I guess he's okay. Anyway, as for that sappy "patriotic" song, they play it during the South Salt Lake July 4th fireworks every year. Yawn.

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Aaah, I kinda liked that song... well now that I'm so far away from the good ole US of A. Absence makes the heart grow fonder... as they say? Yeah, it's Lee Greenwood, but didn't he sing it for the LA olympics or something? Nothing to do with 9/11, or so I thought.

Anonymous said...

You'll definitely hate the closing finale at the Medora Musical in North Dakota. It's "Patriotism" over-done like blackened marsh mellows. Their stand-at-attention-if-you-love-this-country tribute to the armed services complete with look-alike Rough-Rider Teddy Rooseveldt on his trusty horse Trigger (or what ever) made me feel truly pathetic for NOT having taken my highschool army recruiter's sales pitch seriously back in '83.

-John

Anonymous said...

After 9/11 they played that damned song on the "at work" radio station every day at noon for three months. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who cringes when I hear it.

Anonymous said...

From USHISTORY.org

United States Code Title 36 Chapter 3 — National Anthem, Motto, Floral Emblem, and March
§301. National anthem; Star-Spangled Banner
The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

Conduct during playing — During rendition of the national anthem—
when the flag is displayed —
all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note

Kate said...

Hey, Anonymous- Thanks for backing me up on this one.