Thursday, June 7, 2007

What, I Get Vacation Time?

Geeze, who knew?

Tomorrow, I'm going on vacation. We're headed to the Four Corners area so eight-year-old Sara can put her body parts in different states. Plenty of Native American ruins to visit, maybe some canoeing...I may even get sufficient sleep.

A recurring theme for me seems to be what I expect versus what actually happens, so I'll go on the record with my unrealistic expectations, and we'll see how far off I am after I get back.

1. Sara will finally spot the elusive Rhode Island licence plate she has been searching for, in a National Park parking lot somewhere.

2. Some enormous touron (that's tourist+moron) will walk up to a ruin at Mesa Verde and give it a swift kick while saying something like "Now THIS was built to LAST!"

3. The hot springs I have heard of will be clothing optional.

4. We will have to listen to Roald Dahl's "Matilda" at least twice on the journey. Sorry, Roald; I love your stuff, but I can spout solid minutes of "Mathilda", verbatim.

5. I will finish "Joy Luck Club", re-read "Death of A Salesman" and get at least part way into "Housekeeping". (This is probably the least likely expectation to be fulfilled.)

I have to admit that I have been blogging for about 6 weeks now, and I'm getting pretty attached to it. Thanks a bunch, Jess, for getting me hooked. You know, the real reason I even started blogging was that I wanted to comment on the fascinating stuff in "Skymall: the In-Flight Catalogue". I haven't even got around to that yet.

Another thing I need to ponder on my vacation, provided I get enough navel-gazing time, is the soundtrack I want to make. One of these days, when I get time, I'd love to put together a CD of songs that I listened to constantly (voluntarily or involuntarily) at different points in my life. I'll pose this questions to anyone who comes to visit while I'm gone, and I'll see what comes of it when I get back.

So, what song...

Was the first popular song you actually noticed and payed attention to, instead of listening to Disney tunes and, "When you hear the fairyland chimes, turn the page!"? For me that was (this is a little embarrassing) "Stayin' Alive" (Ah, ah, ah, ah...).

What was number one when/if you used to pay attention to "American Top 40"? "Funky Town", for me. (My kids think that originated on the Shrek soundtrack, and that it's actually "Monkeytown."). I still like that - it can go on the soundtrack.

What played over and over on the radio while you were lying flat on your back in your room staring at the ceiling, being self-absorbed? (Oh, God... "Ebony and Ivory". Maybe I'll leave that one off.)

Embarrassing dances in Junior High? "Does Your Mother Know?", by ABBA. (Sorry, I don't know how to make that "B" go backwards. Forgive me.)

Finally for today, what about the song that was playing the first time you made out with someone in a back seat? "Jenny, I got your number! 867-5309!" I don't even know who sang that any more.

OK, enough. I'm still at the office and it's getting on toward midnight. Of course, I can sleep in the truck tomorrow, as long as no little people put Legos down the back of my shirt. The problem with an extended cab - it's just kind of up close and personal.

13 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh Four Corners! I wish I had spent more time there when I lived out in CO, but I DID get to put my body in all four states and stay in a reservation in the Painted Desert. Very cool.

"Stayin Alive" was one of my first remembered songs, too. But even before that, I remember playing "Home on the Range" on my Mickey Mouse record player. And then I got to listen to "Turn to Stone." I was so in love with those invisible singing men.....

There is nothing like blogging, especially when you love to read and write. I am addicted.

Have a great vacation, Kate!

Anonymous said...

"Love By The Dashboard Lights" by Meatloaf.

-Wisconsin John

Anonymous said...

In no particular order...

Wang Chung "Everybody Have Fun Tonight"
38 Special "Hold On Loosely"
Twisted Sister "We're Not Gonna Take It"
Foreigner "Juke Box Hero"
Van Halen "Hot For Teacher", "Panama"
Psychedelic Furs "Love My Way"
The Go-Go's "We Got The Beat"
The Bangles "Walk Like Any Egyptian"
Men At Work "Down Under"
Duran Duran "Rio"
Eurythmics "Would I Lie To You"
Johnny Cash "Folsom Prison Blues"
Falco "Rock Me Amadeus"
The Cars "Candy-O", "My Best Friends Girl"
Eagles "Lyin' Eyes", "Hotel California"
Prince & the Revolution "1999", "Little Red Corvette"
Paul Stanely (of KISS) "I Was Made For Loving You"
KISS "Detroit Rock City"
Head East "Never Been Any Reason"
ACDC "Rockin' All Night Long", "Big Balls"
Queen "Fat Bottom Girls"
Fleetwood Mac "Don't Stop", "You Make Loving Fun"
Aerosmith "Walk This Way"
Sweet "Ballroom Blitz"
The Who "Pin Ball Wizard", "My Generation"
Peter Frampton "I Want You (To Show Me The Way)"
KC & the Sunshine Band "That's The Way I Like It"
Olivia Newton John "Hopelessly Devoted To You"
Thomson Twins "Hold Me Now"

...... it just keeps going on & on & on...... :)

Wisconsin John

Jessica Oakley said...

LOL...touron! I'm stealing that word!

Kate, I had a feeling you'd be a good blogger, but in reality, you're an incredible blogger! I'm happy to have introduced you to the world of blogspot so that I can have a good chuckle when work gets boring. Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

I second my daughter's comment, except I don't get bored at work. I read you when I'm home. You're wonderful.

Diane said...

You asked "So, what songs...."

"Grazing in the Grass" (is a gas, canyoucanyou dig it)

"American Top 40"? "Funky Town", for me."
We had our local guy's top 10...who cared what the rest of "America" was listening to - I was in NY NY: the city so nice they named it twice.

"I still like that - it can go on the soundtrack" Oh good....
letmetakeyouto... MonkeyTohwn" :)

"What played over and over on the radio.... "
Too many to remember.

"Embarrassing dances in Junior High?"
Thank the goddesses I don't have any of those memories...since I didn't go to dances in Junior High. Oh, I did go to one party where I was dancing with a boy whose hands were very very sweaty. Don't remember the song that was playing. Thank goodness.

"...what about the song that was playing the first time you made out with someone in a back seat?"
Geez, Kate, you're so Midwest. ;)

George the Greek said...

Funny stuff, Kate!
Like your musings.

Diane's Bro

Amrita said...

Four corners sounds like fun

Anonymous said...

One of Kate's many charms is getting us to remember things we haven't thought about for years.

I recall my first serious girlfriend & I, and the keys to the "make-out" van that I borrowed from my best friend. This was during a post-prom dance following my junior prom back in highschool. Oddly enough I don't remember what was playing on the radio that night (being as 'distracted' as I was at the time:).

But back then, it must have been something either by REO Speedwagon, Leonard Skynard, or Fleetwood Mac as they seemed most popular in our school at that time.

(I also remember how we both snuck off with a group of highschool friends to see "Porkies", without our parents finding out. It all seems pretty tame by today's standards :)

-John

Gledwood said...

Four Corners? Do you mean like the middle point of a patchwork of 4 states so you can kind of squat on all fours with a foot in each state and a hand in each of 2 other states ... kind of thing? What are the four states and where is this place? I'm fascinated. Is it a town? Big tourist attraction. Do the road surfaces alter drastically as you go over the state border? They do when you change English counties. U can tell which are spending the most on upkeep as some counties' roads are effortlessly superior to their neighbours!
Have a great vacation!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Kate! Hope the vacation goes super well. For what it's worth, no one ever sees a Rhode Island license plate because they don't really exist, my fifth grade teacher at a clothing optional hot spring is probably the fantasy that caused me to fail math class, and Roald Dahl is "THE MAN!!!"

The Joy Luck Club is supposed to be an excellent book. Sadly I'll never read Amy Tan because I have nightmares of the Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat theme song stuck in my head and they are apparently never going away.

I sincerely hope you find enough time for some serious omphaloskepsis and that soundtrack comes together for you. In case you need any help...Tommy Tutone sang that famous little ditty 837-5309/Jenny. :)

Kate said...

John, it was "Jenny, Jenny" by Tommy Tutone. Also, "Centerfold". Remember that song? Isn't it wierd that I know that?