Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hitting the Wall

OK.

OK.

The race I have been training for since February is on Saturday. I have run in some 5Ks before, but this is a half-marathon, and I'm feeling pretty nervous.

What if....I hit the wall?

Long-distance runners always talk about "hitting the wall". As in, "At mile 10, I hit the wall." It's mentioned in my book, Running 101: "Hitting the wall is as serious as any other injury and requires similar recovery time". Frankly, I have no idea what it means to hit the wall, but it doesn't sound fun at all. Clearly the wall is metaphorical, but...what does that feel like, and will I know when I've hit it? And then what?

Does hitting the wall include puking? Oh, God, how embarrassing.

What if there are people I know watching and I pass out?

What if there are people I know watching, period?

What if I have to stop and walk? I don't want to do that.

What if it hurts? Oh, for Pete's sake, Kate! Of course it'll hurt.

I bought new shoes and they're pretty much broken in. Nike Max Air, Bowerman Series. My third pair in a row, so I've convinced myself that they are my lucky brand.

Now, I have to decide: GU or no GU? My friend Summer says I should pin a GU shot to my waistband. I've never tried one. Guess I should before race day, huh?

Should I carbo-load the night before? Or is the benefit gone by morning? I usually just eat a Clif bar when I have a race.

The regulations "strongly discourage" iPods. Are they out of their minds?!? Surely, they won't have iPod police...
I should sync the iPod the night before. Less Johnny Cash for this particular event, and more Matchbox Twenty.
Should I get one of those arm bands that hold the iPod? I've been just carrying it in my hand.
What should I wear? Will I freeze? Will I wish I had gloves?

I ought to have a goal. Maybe my goal is to finish. I think I will, though: I'm really stubborn. I ran 12 miles a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't so bad. I'll have another, secret goal as well: to finish in 2 hours and 10 minutes. If I tell anyone that goal, I will jinx it. I hope that blogging doesn't count.

The damn thing starts at 7 AM. Can I go all the way into downtown on Trax that early in the morning?
What if I get delayed?
What if I oversleep?
What if I hit the wall.
I've been looking forward to it for months, and now I just wish it were over.

13 comments:

super hero said...

even though my body shape does not give any clue about it nowadays, i was some sort of a sportmen when i was younger, and i did oaring. and they made us run like hell. so, if this wall thing is what i think it is, then my suggestion is just ignore it and it will pass. and you know, if you really focus on running, after a while your legs will move autamticaly and you will be surprised to see that it is harder to stop than running.

good luck.

dive said...

Good luck, Kate.
Yup; the wall is painful and frustrating but keep on going and you will come out the other side, which is a great feeling.
Go, girl!

The World According To Me said...

Good luck for the race!

I think you can think about things too much - go for it!

Look forward to reading all about it.

Erin said...

Good Luck! You'll do great!

Anonymous said...

I say...
Damn the torpedos & screw the "wall".....run the thing like a mad-woman & never look back.

Take the Go-goo along and your iPod.

Future generations will look back remembering this day & say...."Yeah, that was the day great grandma Kate found the piss & vinegar coursing through her veins & made family history."


This thing is for you. Love every minute of it & have fun...you'll do great!


-Anonymously, John

Rebecca said...

What is a GU shot? If you've run 12 miles without it before, I say leave it out. Armband for the iPod, definitely! What do you mean iPod discouraged! GAH!!

I agree that maybe you are over thinking. If you haven't hit the at this distance before, there is no reason to think you will now. NYC marathoners carb load the night before, (at Tavern on the Green) so what that hay.

Good luck. Enjoy yourself. I hope Simon takes pictures, and you post them here.

Trysha said...

Our cousin Frank has ran a few marathons and after the first one he said that from now on he's going to put his name on his shirt. The crowd loves to cheer you on and it's even better when they will call out your name. He said that he felt boosted each time some stranger cheered "Go Frank!"

Good luck Kate! I'll be cheering you on.

Maria said...

I only run if something is on fire, so I am no help. I do live with a runner, though. Bing runs every morning and has run several races, but no marathons.

I do know that she heaps on carbs the night before any race. She runs with her iPod and I think would balk without it.

She says she has never hit a wall but has known some who have and it usually means that suddenly they just feel as if everything has just stopped and is malfunctioning but that yes, stopping is MUCH harder than not stopping.

Good luck and I am really impressed, you she-woman, you.

cinnibonbon said...

Best of Luck girl!! I know you will run with wings and the wind at your back...OUTSTANDING...I admire!!! Stop overthinking and get some sleep!!!!

Unknown said...

Go, Kate, go!
Have you seen Spirit of the Marathon yet? You can check here if it is playing near you
http://www.marathonmovie.com/home.html

suesun said...

It's probably too late to get yourself one of these, but just looking at them thinking about wearing one of these ALMOST makes me want to run. Put some Foo Fighters in your ipod and run like hell! Go Kate!!!!!!!
And yeah, ditto to what some others said-make sure there are pictures at the finish line.

~ L said...

Good luck!

I'm the last person on earth to give advice to a runner, but the armband thingy sounds like a necessity to me!

Diane said...

Waiting to hear how it went!