Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stuck on Country

Not me. The radio. The radio in my car is getting junky, it's true. So I should have understood the risk. It's time for the sadistic, semi-annual Pledge Drive on our local National Public Radio affiliate. (If you're an NPR listener, you'll sympathize. We can all groan in unison right now. Ready? Go.) I just call in my pledge and get it over with, so why can't everyone else? Why does it have to go on and on...

"Hi, I'm here with our development director Tristan Tabbish, and we're just going to take a break from our regular broadcast of 'Fresh Air' to ask: do you care about this program? We need your support for 'Fresh Air' and all the great programming we bring to you day after day. Volunteers are waiting by the phones. Just call 581-5837 and make your pledge today. Now Tristan, I believe that our phone volunteers today are from Tree Utah, isn't that right?" "Yes! That's right!....."

Annoyed, I had a lapse in judgement and randomly hit one of the preset buttons, which sent me to "More of Utah's best country! KSOP!" I like a little country music, as long as I am able to change the station as soon as it starts getting on my nerves. (BTW, I would like to apologize and extend a loving olive branch to my blog-buddy Erin, if she reads this. Erin, I do like...SOME... country.) I can't though. Change the station, I mean. The radio is stuck on KSOP. All my usual tricks (thumping the dash hard; thumping the dash gently; twisting the volume knob while pulling on it; slamming the ashtray open and closed) is working. Soon the Pledge Drive will be over, and then I'll be really sorry. I'll still be listening to whatshisface crooning that "your love is like a real good truck/it just keeps getting better all the time...".

I find country music interactive, at any rate. I find myself responding, "What do you mean, 'just like a real good truck'! They do NOT get better all the time! Don't you know they start depreciating the minute you drive them off the lot!?"

OR "'That don't make no difference?' You mean, 'that doesn't make any difference'."

OR (in the case of the many songs involving tearful daddies watching their baby girls getting all growed up) "Shut UP! You SAP!" WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! on the dashboard. WHAM! WHAM!

8 comments:

dive said...

Hee hee hee.
I like a little country music, but having nothing else to relieve the non-stop pathos must be pretty scary, Kate.
Back when I was a session man I once "served" four years in country bands, and while I enjoyed the music, the fans scared the willies out of me.
That "Bob's Country Bunker" scene in The Blues Brothers movie is no exaggeration.
Sheesh!
As for NPR, we get it on the internet over here and it comes without adverts or pledge drives.
Sorry about that.

Erin said...

LOL... first off... KSOP actually reports to our panel that makes up our Country chart... so I find this HILARIOUS. I'm not offended though... I have to admit I hate Country radio with a passion (sshhhh don't tell my boss). I honestly never listen... I have my iPod and if that is forgotten I have a backup CD always in my car so I don't have to resort to one of our 3 country stations. I think most songs that actually make it on Country radio are shit. I don't think the middle aged white men that program the stations have any clue what their demo (females 18-45) want to hear. And, after seeing payola take place before my very eyes, I know that most songs/artists/labels buy their way on... With all that said... I'm sorry you're being subjected to it and perhaps now you understand why I want to move to a country in which the charts are based on SALES rather than AIRPLAY! Phony bastards. And now I will step off my soap box...

Maria said...

I don't listen to the radio. I listen to books on tape. Bing, however, HATES books on tape and each and every time she drives my car, she "accidentally" (I know better...it is her resentment coming sneakily to the surface because I left toast crumbs on the counter) hits the eject button and out pops my book cd. Then, I have to put it back in and keep hitting the forward button until I find my place again. I am listening to J Deaver's The Sleeping Doll now. A reader suggested it to me and at first I thought, no...but I decided to try it and now I am hooked.

I don't know that I would mind the country music station...but losing NPR? OUCH.

Anonymous said...

Remember THESE famous natives from Utah???

"I'm a little bit county...."
"I'm a little bit rock & roll..."

Now....don't that just take you back a spell??? lol


-Anonymously, John

suesun said...

I nearly pledged 350 bucks today for a chance to be in the VIP room with IRA GLASS who's coming to town in June! But before I got my panties all in a wad, I realized I'd be in New York at the time he's gonna be here. bummer.......

I hate the sappy country songs because I get teary-eyed sometimes in spite of myself. I hate that.

Rebecca said...

I think my husband would DIE without the scan button on our radio. I prefer the radio in the car (since we have a cassette deck rather than a cd player) but my husband and son listen to books on tape. My 12 year old REQUESTS Stephen Hawking lectures. I kid you not....

Anonymous said...

i like it too..but like you...as long as i can switch over when it starts to get too sappy... i guess i'm "a little bit rock n roll?"

Katherine said...

LOL! I like a little country music (for some reason that Wal Mart music appeals to me). I also like Alabama.

Public Radio drives make me crazy. Long ago, I worked on their phones a couple of times and KNOW how much they irritate people. We got some interesting calls. "GET BACK TO THE MUSIC YOU JERKS!" Click.

Those were the mild ones.