Monday, May 19, 2008

Domesticity

I left my planner at work, so I spent the whole weekend not knowing what to do. This was a bit of a joke to my family. "Hey, Mom! You're up! How did you get out of bed, without a planner to tell you to?" Ha ha.

This meant I couldn't set up a play date with my son and another little boy: his phone number was in my planner. And I couldn't make any work-related phone calls. Bummer. So...I goofed off. We finally were able to purchase the long-awaited pool table, so we shot pool. I worked on my drought-resistant garden. I'll take photos soon. Sue Sun had some useful suggestions, which I'm incorporating.
I also decided to torture myself by trying a new recipe and recording my pratfalls for the world to see. Unfortunately, it turned out just like the magazine said it would. What's the fun in that? These are called Char Sui Bao, or Chinese Steamed Pork Buns. I really wanted to learn how they're made, because my Vietnamese students prepare them a lot. In Vietnamese, they are called Bun Bao, and usually have an egg in them, but otherwise, the idea is the same.

Balls of yeast-rising dough.



Roll the balls out into 5-inch circles.


The filling is roast pork and chives marinated in just about everything you can think of.


Then, gather up the sides and pinch it shut at the top. This is where I thought it was going to start getting dismal. My attempts over the years to make real Polish pierogi have always resulted in the pierogi coming open in the boiling process, spilling their guts into the simmering pot. But...


...not this time! That which I pinched, stayed pinched. Voila!



OK, my little darlings! Time for your spa treatment.


Some tense moments passed. I couldn't see what was going on in there through the steam, but they looked like they were growing...touching! ...smashing into each other!...


Well, they look good, but how to separate them and get them out of there?



Turned out to be no big deal. I cut them apart with a spatula and they lifted right out. I'm thinking about calling them something like "Disaster Averted Dumplings" or "Kate's Lucky Day".

8 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Mmmm. They look delicious. Amazing what you can accomplish without a planner!

joannmski said...

Amazing and beautiful! Maybe you can schedule making them in the planner once a quarter.

Amrita said...

Yummy, the Tibetans call them momos. I make them. DFor momos you don 't have to make the dough riser and it has to be rolled real thin.These are buns. Must try them.

The " un- planner-activity" was reall good.(Smile)

dive said...

Gosh, they look delicious!

And you bought a PINK pool table?
How cool is that!
Wow!

cinnibonbon said...

Got plans??
LOL..those luck so comforting. I'm glad they turned out for you, I think your spontaneous event looked rather fun. Way to go.

Alice Kildaire said...

yum! Those look really good!

I feel your planner pain! My planner is now organized in a Palm phone that stays on my hip or at my side at all times. It dings to let me know I'm late, plays music to let me know I have a phone call and whooshes to let me know someone has sent a text.

Unfortunately, I do not think it is capable of making those dumplings!

Unknown said...

omg! i love those buns. in the philippines we call them siopao. i tried to make them once when i was thirteen, and it was a disaster. maybe i'll give it another try.
love your kitchen by the way.

Diane said...

Oh, YUM! Now that you know they come out, I expect an invitation. But, you know I love being a guinea pig for cooking experiments, so don't let that stop you in the future!
Recipe, please.
P.S. - I'm always open to running over to the school to look something up, should you forget your planner again. Just remind me to bring my magnifying glass! :)