Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sara's Very Bad Day

Sara does this thing. When she gets home, she pulls a stormcloud face and her eyes fill a little. She won't look at me. She did this yesterday after she got home from soccer practice, and I thought it might have something to do with the blood on her jersey and face.

"Hey, how did you get the nosebleed?"

She was momentarily distracted from her personal downpour. "Huh?"

"You have a nosebleed, Kiddo. Go look."

For a few minutes, she was occupied with pinching her nose. Then the stormcloud returned. (Sigh) OK, I'll bite.

"What's wrong, Sweetheart?"

Her face cracked immediately into a grimace, then a sob. "I had a really horrible bad day!"

I pulled up a kitchen stool and pulled her onto my lap. "What happened?"

Well, there was a list:
  1. Her two best friends both went home at mid-day because they weren't feeling well.
  2. The soccer practice was supposed to be a special clinic with a professional soccer player, but he didn't show up.
  3. She got clobbered in the shins. She was wearing shin-guards but it still hurt.
  4. She got a nosebleed.
  5. It's Wednesday, and Mom is going to work.

I work nights on Tuesday and Thursday, generally; my kids are used to that. But once in a while, I have to go in on a Monday or a Wednesday. We have a program that meets on those nights, and those teachers are also under my supervision. From time to time, I need to do observations, help with testing, etc... Yesterday, the plan was to cook and eat supper, then return to school for an hour or so.

Si walked into the kitchen to see Sara snuffling wetly on my lap. "What?'' he mouthed at me. "Hormones." I mouthed back. Remember, she is growing a boob...

I don't know if you follow NPR very closely, but if you do, you may have heard Melissa Block's coverage of the earthquake in China. That woman is going to win a radio journalism award of some sort. Yesterday, she spent the day covering a family who was searching through the rubble of an apartment building for the husband's parents and their 2-year-old son. She stayed with them while they commandeered rescuers and heavy equipment, while they dug through he rubble with their bare hands. the grandparents and baby were all found dead. I don't speak Chinese, but this woman's screams were in a universal language of parental horror.

Through an interpreter, the woman told Melissa Block that, just before she left her son at the in-law's apartment and left for work, her son was saying, "Don't leave! Take me with you!"

I sat in the supermarket parking lot crying until my tears soaked through the lap of my skirt. "Great," I thought. "Now it looks like I peed myself."

So, my daughter is having a really bad day, and I'm thinking, "Oh, cry me a river."

But I took her with me when I went back to the office, just because I could.

9 comments:

cinnibonbon said...

Oh girl..It's a sicking feeling, when you just feel that you need to keep them close by because of the needless suffering going on in this world. There are time that it seems as my kiddo will put me in an early grave, but I've learn to fight my battles with her, step back a bit and just hold my breath. She is an amazing child and I want to protect from the world so badly. It pushes me over the border of paranoia...LOL. Good for you that you were able to comfort her!!!

Lillian said...

For once I'm glad I missed NPR. Thanks for taking her with you. It made me feel better, too.

Alice Kildaire said...

oh poor Sara...what a good momma

The World According To Me said...

There is so much suffering in this world, and thinking of the woman's screams makes me want to cry too.

I'm not a mother, but I can imagine it's made you want to protect your children even more so.
I hope Sara is happier today.

Anonymous said...

Wow...Sara is growing up...there will probably more of those days than you can count....breathe in together...breathe out together...LOL

Maria said...

I heard the NPR report too and just sat there bawling, that screaming was horrific and I found myself doing that parental jump of putting myself in the part of searching through rubbish for Liv. And I was lucky that I was done with clients for the day, because I looked like a puffed face wreck afterwards.

I'm glad you took Sara to work...

dive said...

Kate, you are a great mom.

Katherine said...

Kids need us so very much. Kate, I'm glad you have a job that you could take Sara to with you. Thanks for reminding us how important each moment together really is.

Amrita said...

Sorry for Sara.

Those stories coming out of China are heart rending and now Jaipur.