Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Night

I am always at work on Election Night, since it's always on a Tuesday. Tonight, we accessed streaming coverage in the computer lab on FOX, MSNBC and CNN simultaneously. Staff, volunteer tutors and students poured in and out all evening. For many of our students who have just passed their citizenship tests, this was the first election in which they had voted. Many of them stood watching, with their "I voted" stickers on their chests, while their tutors explained the graphics, percentages, results.

We have a lot of people from just about every possible background at our school, so I'm careful about what I say or do.

Everyone's gone, now, though. So, I'm alone in my office, listening to Barak Obama's acceptance speech and wiping my eyes. I have often thought that his much-lauded oratorical skills are a bit overrated, but not tonight. He is right on tonight. So, now I'll go home and raise a glass.

Where were you on election night? At a party? At home? At work? Tell us about it. Reactions?

10 comments:

dive said...

I spent the night sitting up in bed with a bottle of wine and my frayed nerves gradually giving way to euphoria.
Here's to a hopeful four years.

Susan in Lille said...

I cried too...he is a brilliant speaker. It is so strange how after one evening, all of a sudden today I don't mind telling people I'm American. I'm actually proud of it.

Coco said...

Obama has to be the hottest president ever. Ok so now that that's out of my system, I just was in complete awe of his speech. It makes me want to be more involved with politics. I get such a good feeling from him.

Erin said...

I can't watch results shows, makes me too nervous. It's like being in the waiting room during a surgery, just tell me the out come and I'll deal with it. So I sat on my couch, watched Star Trek on DVD and refreshed CNN.com every 30 mins. I also fielded a phone call from my father telling me the end of the world was near, while simultaneously sending my friends celebratory texts!

Anonymous said...

On Tuesday, I helped make Dr. Martin Luther King's dream finally begin to come true.

Barack Obama is a God-send for our great country in this historic moment.


Anonymously, John

Weber said...

I was at home watching the results pour in. I thought his speech was absolutely amazing and inspiring. I'll admit it brought tears to my eyes. I work in an office that makes me feel like a tiny liberal minnow in a pool infested with conservative sharks. I listen to these people and their negative comments and all I can think is "Yay Barack, Go Democrats!".

Anonymous said...

Didnt get to see all of the speech due to time differences...but was at work and got one of those widgets from MSNBC and was updated throughout the day!

The World According To Me said...

Tuesday evening in the UK I was at a friends house watching The Titanic.
I read his speech in the newspaper and I must confess to wiping a tear from my eye. What a speech!

cinnibonbon said...

After a long and rainy day with a two drive to vote...I was tired.

I was at home doing homework of course. I watch a bit of the coverage.

I'm thrilled to know so many people got out to vote...yet sad to know that many people still do not..it's shameful.

suesun said...

I posted my story of election night, as well. It was unreal.

I registered 10 new voters this year in my Pre-GED class. A few new citizens, a few young people, and a few old ones who had never voted before. I've been teaching adult ed for 10 years now, and always tried to stir my class interest up, to no avail. This year, it was electric. And made for great conversation and everyone, regardless of whether or not they were voters, were interested in the election, how the electoral college works, etc........

You can go here to read one of my student's writings about her first voting experience as a new citizen. Feel free to share it with your program:
Writers of the Future

You might have to scroll down a bit.... until you see the picture of Obama that she chose to post with it! :-)