Tuesday, November 11, 2008

To Read or Not to Read

A reflection on (but not a review of) “What Came Before He Shot Her”, by Elizabeth George. I generally love Elizabeth George’s mystery novels. This book is a departure for her: a novel that explains the background and motives of one of the killers in an earlier book, a twelve year-old boy.

Well, I launched in to this expecting that the characters would be well-developed (which they were) and the plot would be compelling (which it was). But maybe too much so. The book was emotionally draining. I would think about it all the time. I would have nightmares about the characters. I would lie in bed and cry over the young people in the story and the circumstances that were eroding their lives. It was so real to me: the gang activity; the poverty; the distrust of social institutions. Also the mentors and caring, well-intentioned people who tried to help.

Simon told me repeatedly to stop reading the book, and I wanted to; but then I thought, “Well, what's with that? Are you a coward? An elitist soccer mom who can’t face the truth about how children suffer in this world?” On the other hand, is life to short to read a book that is making you miserable? I finished it, and felt like I had put down a cinder block I had been carrying for weeks.

What’s your opinion? What do you do when you’re reading a book that is upsetting you?

7 comments:

Weber said...

I guess I should have warned you before you read the book. It was totally disturbing to me, but I could not stop reading it. I will stop reading a book if I feel it's a waste of my time (that is a new development as I get older). I always thought that once you started a book you HAD to finish it...no more. This book, though, I kept hoping for that small ray of sunshine. It just never happened.

Anonymous said...

I recommend getting Cable TV, then take a week of sitting for endless hours mindlessly watching episodes of "Hannah Montana" and "Suite Life of Zack & Cody".....trust me, by the end of the week, your brain will be too fried to ever be affected by this or any other book....ever. :)

Seriously though, I'm glad that you're capable of being emotionally caught up & affected by literature like this. We all know far too many people who seem totally brain dead if their knowledge of the world doesn't come to them from anything other than the Internet or TV.

I think that you've responded as you have is pretty darn cool.


Anonymously, John

Kate said...

Well, that says a lot more about Elizabeth George than it does about me.

Susan in Lille said...

I'm glad you finished it. I have not read that one, but I know exactly how you feel. That happened to me with "The Way the Crow Flies" by Ann-Marie MacDonald. I was so upset by what was happening to this girl I would dream about it and think about her all day. It seemed so real to me. She turned into this adult character that was my friend. When I finished I gave the book away, almost as if for someone else to take her with them so that she could be someone else's friend for a while. It's good to be affected, but not disturbed. It sounds like I passed her off, but I really liked her and thought others should have the chance to know the story. Even if it was a hard one. Your's sounds disturbing though. Go start another book!

Katherine said...

You know what? I've had enough trauma in life to want to inflict more on myself. Good literature should make you a little uncomfortable, but it should NOT torture you. If it's that upsetting, for God's sake, put it down.

The World According To Me said...

I haven't read this book but now I'm intrigued. I'm always drawn towards books which are dark and often uncomfortable!

Jessica Oakley said...

I like the cable idea. Although I usually go for things like "Girls Next Door" or "America's Next Top Model." They both come in marathon format, which is perfect for wasting an entire Sunday in your PJs.