Monday, February 14, 2011

Up To Three

It's a cult: I'm convinced, now.

OK, this all started last summer, when I found a Cabbage Patch head on the front lawn at Butler Middle School. Pink yarn hair, piggy eyes, icky face. Sara pushed it with her toe and said, "That is so wrong." I left her at soccer practice, snuck back and picked up the head. She had no idea, and when she found it under her pillow that night, loud was the screaming... One of my better moments. I definitely buffed my nails over that one.

A few weeks ago, Sara reported that she had found another head (pink yarn hair, again) across the street from her school. Getting this one involved cat-burglary: I had to hoist her over a fence onto private property. Lots of hysterical whisper screams on her part: "MOM! WHAT IF SOMEONE COMES AND SHOOTS ME!?" "If anyone confronts you, throw the head over the fence to me and try to look casual."

She rigged that head so it would fall into the shower when I pulled the curtain shut. I made sure it was still soaking wet and really cold when I put it in bed with her the next morning.

And again, today. I was driving toward Cottonwood Cyclery and a flash of pink yarn caught my eye. I pulled a squealing U-turn (Better hurry! Don't want anyone to beat me to it!) and retrieved the lovely specimen above. When I came home after my run, I hunkered down low in the cab of the truck. She came out to see why I wasn't coming into the house, and when she got nice and close I screamed and thrust it out the truck window at her. It has been run over by a car, so it's head is seriously fractured. It is so creepy, according to Sara, that she won't keep it in her room.

All disembodied... all with pink yarn hair... all within a half-mile radius of each other. Someone is using them for occult purposes.

[PS. I controlled the heartbreak monster reasonably well today. I would say five out of ten. I would have done better if I had gone to work, but the kids were off school. There were some very rough moments, but I was functional. Still focused on making the changes I need to make to get my groove back.]

4 comments:

Maria said...

I snickered at this and I want to do this to Liv SO badly now....

And hey...I haven't been around here for too long, so went back and caught up and can I just tell you that I love the way that you are working through this shit? I mean, it was barely 6 a.m. and I was barely awake but I started reading and couldn't stop.

Limbo sucks the big one, dude.

Maria said...

Oh...and about your blog stalker...I have one too. One with several computers who lives in Oregon and seems to have no idea that you can't hide from all the analytics that Bing slapped on my computer. Get some if you don't already have them, they are worth every dime.

I enjoy each and every time I delete her. It is cathartic.

JY69 said...

The heads are weird...

Trysha said...

Funniest thing I read all day.

(I'm so behind on my blog reading but this was a great read for my Monday morning)