Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Executive?

Last night was the annual Potluck Holiday Dinner for my students and their families. We hold it at the church hall next door to the school. As you can see, we take our potluck seriously. When it comes to rivalries over who makes the best posole, spring rolls or momos, the competition is heated.
Some of my students give me presents. One gentleman returned from a trip to Vietnam just a few days ago, so he handed me a necklace! A bracelet! Coconut candy! All from his country! And a WalMart gift card. Not from his country. Well, or, these days I guess it could be.
This year, I was honored to receive a clock. Over the years, the teachers in my program have been given so many odd clocks that we have developed a collection. It started with a pink china elephant clock many years ago (which deserves its own blog entry one of these days). Now we have clpcks shaped like bird houses, bowling pins, the Emerald City...yeah, I know - like it isn't cluttered enough in here. On my desk, I have the tiger clock, the teacher clock and the Last Supper clock. Now I will add this one. What is my student want me to convey with this clock? That I am dignified. Executive. Directorial. For the woman who signs things a lot? He got that part right.
Now, if only the rest of its surroundings lived up to it.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

wow. That is a busy person's desk!!! Like clock set, and the pot luck looks wonderful. :)

Maria said...

Wow...and I thought my desk was sloppy...

I have baskets and baskets of shit that look like they are organized but I can never find anything..

Erin said...

That is very executive! I personally can't stand clocks, they make me worry about being late...

Kate said...

Don't worry, Erin! None of mine keep the right time. They're off by hours.

Anonymous said...

Yep...soon that clock and you will be occupying that "corner" executive office. I'd start writing out those requisition forms for that new walnut desk now. :)


-John

Anonymous said...

looks like you're working LOL what a great buffet and potluck! yum yum!

The World According To Me said...

Sounds like fun!

I want to hear more about the Pink Elephant!

Unknown said...

those golden pens match the recycled can of lychees very well :)

so cute ^_^ world wanting to know more about the pink elephant ;)

suesun said...

Where and what do you teach? Just curious, as I teach in an adult ed. pre-GED class, and our potlucks are just like yours!!!

Weber said...

Kate, Have you ever considered hiring one of those "organizing consultants"?

suesun said...

Thanks for visiting me, too! Yeah, isn't teaching adults awesome? I've started two blogs for my students, which you might be interested in. They write posts and comment to each other, and we are trying to get their families and friends and other adult students to comment as well. I'm just at the beginning of the process, but here they are:

Freedom of Voice and The Beginning Writers

and please remember that, although my students are at the "pre-GED" level, most of them are not native speakers, and their writing skills are still far behind their reading skills. Nevertheless, I think they are amazing!

cheers!