Thursday, December 20, 2007

Zoo Lights


Our local zoo is lit up for the holidays.

Most of the animals were tucked in for the night, but a few nocturnal creatures were on the prowl. After many summer afternoons spent peering forlornly into seemingly empty enclosures, it was fun to finally see the cougar, the tiger, the ocelot and the owls up and about. There was a little mishap at the end, when Si was holding a mitten for Nate and he shoved his hand into it a little rambunctiously, thus punching Si in the 'nads (to quote Nathan). The cold 'nads. What do I know, but I guess that makes it worse? Under normal circumstances, Si would have keeled over, but we were in a public place and he's British. He managed to stagger back to the car. Nate felt bad, but was somewhat puzzled, as was Sara. Honestly, I'm mystified as well. Since I've never experienced a nut-shot, I guess I have no understanding of the white-hot lightning bolt of pain that must result, judging by the usual male response.

Nate spent the drive home punching himself in the crotch as hard as he could, muttering, "I just don't GET it. It doesn't hurt that much..."

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, my God that was funny! I will have to ask my husband if it really matters whether the nuts are cold when taking a shot in them! Poor Si!! I am really, really sorry for giggling at his expense. But ya gotta ask yourself why God or evolution in their/its infinite wisdom left THAT part of the male body so damned vulnerable. Makes no sense at all! One of the bazillion things that make me grateful for being a woman. :)

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember you had this similer facination regarding this aspect of male-hood back in H.S. :)

-John

Kate said...

I did?!?

Maria said...

Well, obviously NOT my field of expertise.....

Alice Kildaire said...

hahaha...your son never fails to make me laugh! I guess we women will spend our lives wondering how it really feels to be kicked in the balls while most men try really hard not to think about what it must feel like to have a baby!

Anonymous said...

That's a real cool pic of Sarah & Nate with their faces illuminated like that. You should have a photo print made of it.

John

Unknown said...

nate is so cute ^_^
i love the photo of their glowing faces, a perfect holiday card.

Amrita said...

The photos are lovely.
Sorry about what happened.
I 'd like to see an ocelot.

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Nate is too funny. He reminds me a lot of my boy. In the bath, my boy pretends his penis is a fire hose and the little fireman figurine he has stretches it all about to put out fires. I do make him potty prior to bath, so it is a game of pretend!

Kate said...

Elizabeth - LOL! I guess it's a guy thing.

Anonymous said...

hmm i think it is something we women will never understand... like that lit up photo too!

The World According To Me said...

Nice pics, and your post made me chuckle.

Happy Christmas to you and your family. Have a good one!

Katherine said...

Beautiful pictures, Kate! Happy holidays to you and yours! Peace in 2008.