Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Witless in Seattle

Well, my cousin abruptly left Salt Lake and has returned to her cheating, abusive, meth-head estranged husband in Seattle. She left without telling anyone that she was going (she knew what we would say). My aunt called me from Phoenix last night to tell me. For the record, Cousin, you could have called me and told me. I would have recommended that you not go, but I wouldn't have tried to stop you. I would have told you that you can stay with me again if you decide to come back.

I know that this is often how it goes in these situations. I wish I could say that I was surprised. Aunt is anguished: worried about Cousin's downward spiral. I tried to cheer her up with a wager. We will both guess the date that Cousin will leave Meth Head Asshole and come back to Salt Lake, I told her. The winner buys the loser a present. "Chocolates?", she asks. "Sure, if you like." She rallies a little (As always. Aunt specializes in rallying.) "I'll have a 1 pound box of dark chocolate rum-pots from Cummings Studio. Deal?" "Deal." Now we just need to negotiate the details. Aunt thinks Cousin may be returning in a body bag. I told her the wager didn't cover such contingencies.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear that.
My heart goes out to you, & especially for your cousin's safety.

John

super hero said...

i am sorry for her and for you, too. as you mention, i guess this was what you should really expect. now i wonder why people do the wrong thing in such a situation? or is it really th wrong thing? do they ddo it because they are really in love, or because no matter how bad it seems it is their life and it is what they feel like they belong to?

The World According To Me said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. Must be worrying for your family.

But I guess no matter what you you say to some people, they will do what they want to do and make their own mistakes. And you'll be there to pick up the peices - again.

Anonymous said...

yeah and what a selfish person to worry her family like that..but she has to figure that out on her own...just be ready when she does...

Amrita said...

Oh that is not good. Hope cuz is safe.Why did she have to go

Rebecca said...

Man, I am sorry to hear that. I guess there really is nothing that you or your aunt can do other than constantly let your cousin know that she is loved, and not alone, despite how she might feel.

Maria said...

I had been wondering how that would go...

And yeah...the best way to get through anything is a wager and chocolate is the best. But, I pick godiva dark chocolates or Green and Black 84% cacao. Now, THAT is chocolate.

Rebecca said...

Oh, Maria, I think I am your chocolate soul mate!!!