Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Two Evangelists

I called home to talk to Dad, but Mom said, "He's not here. He's still in Guatemala." WTF?? I had no idea he was going anywhere. They never tell me anything.

"Guatemala?! What's he doing there?"

"Medical mission," says Mom (Dad's a doctor. Long retired, but he keeps up his license, I suppose, so he can go off on amazing adventures like this one.)

"Ooooh..." I have some jealousy issues. My dreams of being a doctor were thwarted by high school chemistry. Not only is he a doctor, he's being one in Latin America. "Wow. I wish I were there."

"Well, that's something you could do if you wanted."

"In what capacity?"

"Well, they took four nurses, three doctors, two dentists-"

(A little voice in my head sings, "...and a partridge in a pear tree...")

"-and two Evangelists."

Huh? "Like I said, I don't really see what I-"

"You could be an evangelist."

"I could..." I burst out laughing. "I really don't think that's-"

"Well, who knows about the future? I keep thinking one of these days, you'll learn something."

About faith, she means. Oof. I changed the subject. It's bugging me, though.

Dear Mom, (reads the letter I compose in my head, but will never write for real)

I'm 40, for Pete's sake. I still have a lot to learn, but I have managed to take a few things on board so far. One is that belief in God isn't something I can just decide to...have. I regret that I have no faith, but I don't. Another is that it is actually possible to demonstrate compassion and make a difference in the world without being religious. I'm sorry that this is a disappointment to you, but as long as there are Christians who attend the funerals of fallen soldiers in order to scream "God Hates Fags", I think I'm happier in my benighted state.

Yours sinfully,
Kate

13 comments:

super hero said...

great post.

im 33 and i dont know if i believe in god or not either. there is something for sure, if it is a social issue i try to keep god out of it.

if it is personnal, well, i have to admit that i started to talk to him lately after some very long years refusing him fiercely. and i guess it is because now i have something which i dont want to lose, but yet, worry about that.

Amrita said...

Oh no Kate not sinfully yours.
You have not met the right Christians.Not all God 's people are like that my dear.But I am ashamed to see poor reps of God.

Dear Super Hero, keep talking to God,He loves you.

Anonymous said...

It's December 6.

Happy "Feast of St. Nicholas" day!


-John

joannmski said...

Probably I shouldn't have enjoyed that post but I did. Well, pray for me, a sinner. :-)

Elizabeth Penmark said...

Oh, great for your dad! Sorry about the issue with your mom. I know that it is difficult when parents have those kinds of expectations of their children and their children take different paths. You know, it is interesting that some of the most upstanding, good, compassionate, positive people I have met in my life have been non-believers. Faith is only as good as the bearer of that faith, and, in and of itself, means absolutely nothing. I think it is the meaning and choices one makes as a result of faith that make it a powerful and good (or sometimes bad) force. Personally, I'd much rather have a bunch more folks like you in the world. :)

Maria said...

And I am standing right next to you....two sinful women.

This is SO odd, but when I was trying to decide on a college major, my mother looked at me and said, "I always thought you would make a good evangelist or evangelist's wife."

Oh, yeah...she KNEW me, huh?

Anonymous said...

isnt that a thing we ALL have with our parents. my mom is so catholic it's really sinful! LOL...I could've written that letter....hmmmm....

Anonymous said...

What was it that Billy Joel sang?

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints"?

Take it from Wayne's World...
Party on!

-John

~ L said...

Me?

I've quit two different organized religions, but I just cannot shake my belief in God. (Not saying I want to. It just surprises me in a way.)

I still pray and reflect on things, but I don't attend any formal services.

Rich said...

Kate...this is in response to being tagged (twice) by you. As we discussed, I don't really like being tagged, nor do I know seven people I could tag. But, you made me feel sufficiently guilty so I'll respond on my blog.

Shirley

Alice Kildaire said...

ambassador of good will perhaps?

Rebecca said...

I could never evangelize. I think it is wrong to do so. The hubris of contending one's faith is the only valid faith. The only way to see God. The only way to NOT roast in hell. WTF?!?!? How does anyone know THAT?? Nope can't get behind that. Feed the hungry, heal the sick, clothe the naked. FINE. That is how you act in God's image. I have no issue with God. I have many, many issues with how man has perverted God. But that's just this girl's opinion.

Donetta said...

I see it as a difference between a religion of man=mans ideas of what rules must be obied to be affiliated with them
as apposed to relationship with God, being a friend to Him Scriptures speak of the only true "religion" is feeding the orphan and the widow and loving your neighbor as yourself, keeping yourself unstained form the world. Loving Him with all your heart mind and soul against this there is no law (or rule of man)that matters it's all wrapped up in it.
I agree with Amrita
sin is defined as missing the mark it was an archery term in ancient times. Who of us don't miss the mark :)