Monday, March 24, 2008

13 Small Happinesses

Ew. That sounds sappy, doesn't it? Right out of a f***ing fortune cookie. I'll have to write something really dark and angst-ridden tomorrow, to make up for today's buoyant mood.

This weekend, I was made happy by:
  • Bacon.
  • A new vinyl tablecloth, as the old one was getting dingy.
  • The beginning of gardening season! Only a heady optimist like myself could see this...
and think "raspberry jam".
  • Sara writing, "I love you, Mom" in the steam from the bathroom mirror.
  • Looking sidelong at the kids during "Horton Hears a Who". I love watching kids laugh at movies. Go see it! It was good, even for grown-ups.
  • Lots of coffee, but no heartburn.
  • Devilled eggs, made with shrimp, parsley and bacon. Huh? Did somebody say, "bacon"?

I can overlook the Easter egg neon dye seepage and the Christmas plate if you can.

  • Successfully running 8 miles. In only three more weeks, though, I'll have to manage 13, so I'm not letting myself be too proud.
  • My Easter babka,

only slightly lopsided, as always. The only awkwardness is that Nate pronounces it "vodka", as in, "Thanks, Mom for letting me have extra vodka, since it's a holiday." or "I'm telling my teachers that no one makes vodka as good as yours." or "Vodka is my favorite part of Easter."

  • Sitting in a sunbeam, idly watching Sara and Simon labor over a jigsaw puzzle.

  • Doing two Sudokus, even though I screwed up before I finished either of them.

  • Finishing "Middlesex", by Jeffrey Eugenides. Book review to come, after I've had a few drinks, so I won't be too worshipful. (It was a great book.)

  • Hurrying up to Snowbird this morning to ski a few runs with my friend, Alan, then going to work.

How about you? Got any small stuff?

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

I don't like deviled eggs but those look wonderful - one question though... what is babka and does it go good with vodka? No seriously - what is it? Looks awesome.

Kate said...

@ Erin: The only thing that babka and vodka have in common is that they both originate in Eastern Europe. And that Nate pronounces them the same. How to describe it? It's more bread than cake...yeast rising...not very sweet, except for the gaze. People ate it at Easter when I lived in Poland, although this is an American hybrid: it has Craisins in it!

Trysha said...

"Vodka is my favorite part of Easter."

Amen to that.

The World According To Me said...

Like it!

Well done with the run.

You better watch the teachers don't ask too many questions about the vodka in your house!

I've been ill all easter, so not much good stuff from me I'm afraid!

cinnibonbon said...

Yeah haw on the run girl!! Sound exciting. keep me posted..but I don't suppose you can have too much vodka nd keep a good pace for much longer..LOL.
I like your idea of blogging about small stuff..will have to take you up on it!

Rebecca said...

The babka looks delicious! I like the craisin touch, too. That you for reminding me to look at and write about my happy places :)

Maria said...

Liv used to have trouble with r's. She said the word "teats" for "treats." One Easter, someone gave me an easter basket filled with candy and I told her she could have all my treats since I am diabetic. We went to my sister's church service and the priest had one of those children's sermon things. He went around asking each child what they were thankful on Easter. Liv, who was three, announced that she was thankful that her mother let her get in bed with her this morning and "eat her teats."

Sitting in a sunbeam is a great way to find anything idyllic. And I want some babka. It looks good and I am nuts for craisins.