Thursday, March 20, 2008

Succotash

OK, I'm finally ready to shift my attention away from the devaluation of my sexual favors and focus on food, the Other Passion. Last night, the test kitchen was back in business with Balsamic Succotash.

I'm going to post this recipe as a tribute to 6-year-old Nathan, who climbed up in his chair, looked at it and said,"WHAT are THOSE?!"
"It's succotash! Corn and beans."
"I HATE succotash!"
Sara and I, together: "You've never HAD succotash!"

He snarfed it right down and asked for seconds.



Ingredients

2 T butter

1 C chopped onion

1 garlic clove, minced

2 C frozen corn kernels

1/2 C chopped red bell pepper

1 t dried basil (hey, if you have fresh basil this time if year, more power to you)

1 (10 oz.) pckg. frozen baby Lima beans

1/2 C chicken broth

1/2 t sugar

1/2 t salt

1/8 t black pepper

1 T balsamic vinegar


Directions

1. Melt butter in a lg., non-stick skillet over medium heat.

2. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 mins or until onion softens, stirring occasionally.


3. Add corn, bell pepper, basil and beans; cook four minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add broth, sugar, salt and black pepper; cook 7 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.

5. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.

6 servings.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

Want to hear something stupid? I thought succotash was a vegetable I've never seen in the grocery store.

Rebecca said...

That sounds really yummy, and I am not a fan of lima beans at all!

Rebecca said...

OH, and have a very happy Easter.

dive said...

Gosh that sounds nice, Kate.
Being English I had only ever heard the word succotash on Warner Brothers' cartoons. It's nice to know that it's actually something yummy.

suesun said...

"Sufferin' Succotash!" :-)

Oh how I wish I had children who would snarf down food like this! Maybe then I might actually attempt to cook.

cinnibonbon said...

Yeah...succotash....all I can think of is Slyvester the cat!!
Sufferin' succotash!! Your son's first reaction was too funny!

Amrita said...

Sounds good.
Happy Easter

Anonymous said...

"I tawght I taw a Putty Tat!"


-Anonymously, John

Unknown said...

sounds yummy. frozen lima beans that cook in less than 20 minutes? seriously? and i've been soakin' and boilin' 'em for hours and hours.