Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I Know You Are But What Am I?

A friend has asked me about my eight-year-old daughter Sara's love-life, documented in earlier blog entries. I should start by saying that men are mysterious creatures. I'm guessing that boys enter that "Girls are gross" stage because they need to strengthen their male identities and so have to separate themselves from girls in order to focus on guy-ness. This has been a blow to Sara. As her little boyfriends turn eight, they suddenly start to think that she's a...well...cootie.

Her little brother still adores her, but this is cold comfort. She has no idea how good she's got it. He serves as her body-guard, often in full plastic armor, and strikes strange Ninja-like poses if anyone says anything disrespectful. Except himself. He has exclusive rights to calling her a "dumb-dumb poopy head". This results in a volley of "I know you are but what am I?" and "Takes one to know one."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you so need to teach them the old I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you routine. :)

Alida Sharp said...

My younger son used to call his older brother a "broccoli head"... I guess this was the worst thing he could think of! LOL

Anonymous said...

Why do kids always stick something awful in front of "head"? I don't recall doing that when I was one, but then again we didn't call each other names.

Amrita said...

My neice used to defend her elder brother because he was the shy type.