Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kate's Test Kitchen, Episode 2

Spicy, combined with cool. Am I describing myself, or Pork Vindaloo?

This recipe was a piece of cake, unlike the Salmon en Papiotte I tried last week. I managed to make it without any major accidents. Cut up the meat and a sweet onion; spice it with, like, 12 different spices, brown it up in a pan and chuck a couple of tomatoes in there. There's a raita that goes with it, which is a better recipe than the one I've been using. Yoghurt and cucumber, as usual, but also tomato and garam masala.

Vindaloos are HOT! Too hot for little kids. I only put in a dash of Cayenne, then put the container on the table, so the grown-ups could add more.

Taste rating: Super! Great! Nathan kept calling for "More chicken!" "Nate, it's pork, honey." He had three helpings. There were almost no leftovers, unfortunately. I'm sitting here at my desk at Guadalupe, trying to make a lunch of the pathetic leavings while writing this.

Hassle rating: Easy and fairly quick. In fact, I knocked it together in about thirty minutes, which meant I had time to go out and weed in the garden before supper.

Final Analysis: Keeper.

3 comments:

Penny Lane said...

Wow, I love recipes! I will be sure to check in on you,lol. Thanks for the comment.

PurpleTiger006 said...

If you guys like recipes and a little history, there is a book by a chef down here in Louisiana that is fantastic! The 'Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine' by Chef John D. Folse is an excellent book with some fantastic recipes. Go to Amazon.com and you can even get free shipping. Trust me, this book is worth it!

Amrita said...

Hi Kate, Vindaloo is Indian and raita and garam masala too. I don 't remember having eaten vindaloo, i may have but i know its simply great. I make raita, its a good way to prepare yogurt with vegetables, very healthy.Garam masala is a very popular conbination of spices in India i use it a lot...can be hot for the western palate.