Friday, March 5, 2010

Pondering Infidelity

Maybe the time has finally come. We've been together for so many years. In the beginning, it was great; and my life has been changed for the better: really, it has. And I have weathered so many changes over time. But for the last six months or so, I find I just can't stomach the...lack of originality! The duck-and-cover attitude in response to the poor economy. No more dreams, no more playfulness, no more...well...fantasy. I need to feed my fire.

But, can I really bring myself to turn my back on the history that we share together? I mean, I have two entire card boxes filled with recipes from Cooking Light. Almost every meal I prepare for my family has come from that magazine.

There have, over the past 10 years, been various "face lifts"; but the latest version drives me crazy. I have spent a lot of time pondering the source this sudden hostility. I think the truth will hit very close to home for my fellow adventure-starved suburban working moms who used to have lives. I need a cooking magazine that plays to my imagination. I used to love the photos of beautiful dinner party tables. The "Travel" section, so I could visualize myself (wearing an outfit from Chico's) in that exotic locale. The "Fit House" section, with the Viking, SubZero, movie-star kitchens. The edgy recipes with wild combinations of ingredients! But now it's all about affordability, speed, simplicity. Because I am a suburban working mom, I appreciate those things...but I already have a bunch of practical, prosaic recipes.

At any rate, I was trying to learn to love the new "reflecting a new reality" version of Cooking Light, until I saw this in the restroom at work, and the seduction began.

Why read "25 Common Kitchen Mistakes" or "New Uses for Everyday Ingredients" when I can read this?

The question is, have I sinned? This is still in the "infatuation" stage. Technically, it isn't adultery until there is penetration. I haven't actually tried a recipe, yet. I know, this rationalization is ugly. Help. I need an intervention. Or a vacation to Turkey.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

Wow you really do have a choice.