Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Apuesta

"Apuesta" is Spanish for "bet". I learned that from one of my adult English as a Second Language (ESL) students tonight, when he coughed up this lucky charm as his forfeit.





Thanks, Carlos!

Carlos and I wager on things occasionally. He usually pays up with food though, and I had forgotten about this bet until he reminded me. Our ESL school has a childcare and some years, (particularly if Halloween falls on a Tuesday or Thursday night, when we have the class), the children do a Halloween costume parade. Carlos is obsessed with this notion, 'cause he loves to dress up in his hideous rubber ghoul costume and scare the crap out of the kids. He is hoping to continue his reign of terror this year, with a new crop of kids.


Here he is a couple years ago, posing with one of our volunteer tutors. Yeah, hi, Carlos. Sweating much in there?

"Teacher. I dress for Halloween and SCARE the children. Halloween is on this year Tuesday!"
"Hmmm. No, I think it's on Wednesday this year. "
"No, Tuesday."
"Uh-uh. Wednesday."
"Tuesday."
"Wednesday".
"Tuesday."
(Here we go again...) "Carlos, I bet you $2 it's on a Wednesday."

After a quick lesson on what "I betcha" means, we shook on it.

It'll be great on my rear view mirror.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you go! you won the apuesta eh? cool..that is a neat little charm..looks chinese in fact.. LOL.

The World According To Me said...

Nice charm! Nice outfit too.
2 more weeks until Halloween!

Anonymous said...

What are those two dangly thingy's hanging off the end? Looks like you had Carlos by the..... Oh, never mind. :)

-John

Maria said...

But, if you win a charm it can't work properly...it has to be given with love.

Make Carlos say he loves you.

Kate said...

Maria-
He would, too!