Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Five Things

I was tagged by "Flying Pink Elephants" to play "5 Things". I like being tagged - it offers me a chance to blog without pondering a topic. What a relief.

5 things found in my room:
  • MY BED! God, how I love it. I don't get to spend nearly enough time in it lately, so I think about it all the time. Cream-colored flannel sheets patterned with autumn leaves...cotton comforter from Target that I just bought this summer, but feels like it has been washed a thousand times. Orgasmic.
  • Cozy sofa with brass reading lamp;
  • The beginnings of my black and white photo gallery;
  • Books I've hung onto since I was a kid: "Anne of Green Gables", the "Little House" books, "Narnia", "Winnie the Pooh";
  • Unused bottles of perfume on my dresser. I'm not a big perfume person - patchouli, if anything. But every time my MIL comes to visit, she brings me a bottle.
5 things I’ve always wanted to do:
  • Scuba dive;
  • Ride in a helicopter;
  • Take a nice, long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters in September. Maybe 8-10 days;
  • Go to medical school so I can join "Doctors without Borders" and be useful;
  • Visit the places my students are from: Mexico, Vietnam, Tibet. Not like a tourist, though; like a member of the family.
5 things in my bag (I'll do my carry-all, 'cause my purse is so boring):

My carry-all is genuine fake patent leather. It has a slinky woman in silhouette cavorting on a chile pepper. It says "Muy Caliente!"("Very Hot!") It is beyond tacky and utterly inappropriate.
  • Flash drive in a Ziploc bag, 'cause I lost the cap;
  • "Energy" mints, with caffeine. The can in which they are contained has a satisfying rattle. Unfortunately, it takes 8 mints to equal a cup of coffee. Geeze.
  • Leatherman tool;
  • Receipt from "Hair by Edie" (I went there today. Being shampooed by Edie is almost as good as going to bed.)
  • Ancient bottle of hand lotion so gross and crusty that it once tested positive for explosives at airport security, necessitating a pat-down. I've been frisked.
5 things found in my wallet (this is REALLY boring):
  • A tiny booklet called "The Basics", which tells me how to use my cell phone; then the remaining contents are all cards....
  • Pink punch-card for 10 free spinning classes at the rec center. I need to use it before it expires. The pressure.
  • Cards, cards, cards: voter registration, credit, debit, rec center membership, city library, county library, health insurance, dental insurance, driver's license, Costco;
  • Oh, and a little money;
  • And a blank check, folded small in a hidden compartment.
5 things I’m currently into:
  • Uh, blogging.
  • Photography. I'm trying to learn. I wish I could move to Florida and apprentice myself to Seagrape. She's incredible.
  • Making terrariums (or, is it terraria???), which is my upcoming project with my daughter's Brownie troop next week. Pray for me.
  • My knees. My friend M. had knee surgery last week, and ever since I've had...knee awareness. Ooooh. Is that a twinge I'm feeling right now? Could it be (gasp!) the meniscus? I'm being so nice to my knees this week.
  • Tequila

There! Whew! OK, I'll tag 5 friends now, per the rules of the game. Anyone else want to play? Please do!

11 comments:

The World According To Me said...

Great answers and a nice little insight into your world!
I love Narnia and Winnie the Pooh too, I also have these books on my shelves.
Like the sound of your (Very Hot) bag!
Here's to drinking Tequila!

Amrita said...

I would also love to do scuba diving and ride ina helicopter.

Amrita said...

You know i was visiting a friend once, she is Iranian - Parsee and she had a peice of a donkey 's skeleton in the guest bedroom. I found that really gross, it made me uncomfortable.

Kate said...

A donkey's skeleton?

Uuhhh... What piece? Do I want to know?

life is too complicated to discuss said...

hey nice things. Especially the incident with the ancient lotion bottle was funny. But I too keep absolutely useless stuff with me in my wallet. It difficult to let go!

Unknown said...

thanks for the compliment!!! it gives me the boost I need to learn more about photography.
good luck on your terrarium project.
(^_^) mmmm...now I smell patchouli whenever I visit your blog.

Anonymous said...

ha ha why do you carry explosives with you? (hand cream...) LOL.. that is good. hmmm.. yes..seagrape's photos ARE really cool... i also liked the helicopter thing.. i also have never been in one... oh well..!

Maria said...

So, do you think you will be able to do all those things you would like to? Scuba dive, etc? I hope that you get to do every single one of them.

And I love it that your carry on is totally inappropriate. Every woman needs three totally inappropriate things in her life.

Diane said...

Oh, darn, and here I was hoping to get tagged so I'd post something for a change. I must get on the stick...

I have some AƱejo in a canning jar. Let's share it sometime soon!

Kate said...

Diane-
Blog it anyway, silly!

Elizabeth Penmark said...

This was a fun read! I did my five things. It was fun to write, too!